VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hy tdi funns.
id like to start with a big hag and a lot of thanks for or all of you who have the time and the knowleage to help the lost people in theare tdi engines.
i just got in us a while ago so sorry for the incorrect spelling. :eek

i bought a jetta tdi 2000 with a broken tb. thats what you can buy with short money. i did a pretty expenssive head job on it came out so fare grate.after reansambling the engine it started up verry hard and with a lot of white smoke.beeing my first tdi i went on this forum to check out.
ok i bought the VCDS and and adjusted the timing on my IP.
now is around 68-70 ( i dont know if it has to be always a fix nr or can change a little,i think depend on timing belt)
now the car starts like i think a new one. -10C and starts first click noe even have to wait for the glows to turn off.
no smoke at all. im glad at this poin,but when is about to take a ride a better walk.
i wont jump and it wont go higher then 20mph.
after engine worm i cant rave the tdi higher then max 3000rpm.
all vacc pipes and every pipes from and to the turbo ar ok. n75 and trottle is clean shludder valve is ok.
my MAF wont go higher then 450 at full throttle,
the IQ at idle is 3.8 and when is about 2500-3000rpm is just 10-17 .
my ? is, would the MAF value influence and lover my IQ value.if im correct the MAF should go up to 800-900 at least.having that value at 450 it may influence the ecu to lover the IQ value?
or becouse i have a low IQ i cant rave my engine high enough to get a good MAF result.

( the timing is at his place.everithing was locket down with the required tools and marksmhope is still theare and is not that the probleme) :))
if you went thrue any of this and you have a clue about it let me know.i realy hope this car is worth all this cuz i allready went thrue a lot.
thanks folks(vagen people) im waiting for your advices
regards gerald

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Bad MAF is very likely based on your symptoms, especially since you've confirmed the value. I'm not 100% sure if a bad MAF would lower IQ but I believe it will since the car thinks there's less air so it gives it less fuel. Sorry for the short reply but you've done a good job finding it...please post a follow up if it fixes the problem and if your IQ is fixed as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hy folks. i just installed my new bosch MAF. i have the same vcds results with it. it looks it wasnt was the MAF. the IQ (actual) at idle is around 3.2-3.4 mg/r. and the iq requested is 0 cuz no acceleration. at 3000 rpm and thats the highest i can go i have iq actual 17-20 mg/r and the iq requestet is 10-12mg/r. if im correct it should go up around 35-40 mg/r. i cant get that. when i take the car for a ride it wont go at almoust slow like a lownmover.the fastest on straight line is 20mph.anybody who can imagine a clought exhoust? i dont know.it starts so easy but when is about to go is ded.and the engine is a little noisy.not bed but a vw tdi it should me more silent i think.any sugestions folks? thanks gerald

·
Registered
68 Posts
check for a clogged snow screen on the intake pipe next to the battery.

check for a stuck anti shudder valve.

go to group 11 in basic settings and see if the turbo moves its full range. if its stuck in one place, perhaps its not moving enough air to make any more power than that.

the MAF has ultimate control over both fuel (IQ) and boost if the maf always reads low, it will pull fuel, and that will reduce boost. I see it all the time.

you could also look for a clogged intake manifold. that will also reduce the amount of air that can get thru the engine. if the intake is clogged, ONLY clean it with it COMPLETELY removed from the engine. do not try to scoop the gunk out of it with it attached to the head. too much chance of dropping a hard chunk of carbon into a cylinder and causing major damage. (bent valves, bent rods etc)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hy people. happy new year to everyone.im back again with bad news.i kind a vent thrue everything on this car and it runs the same way. i dont have clogged screen and intake.my egr works as it supposet to work is around 35-55% thats always in the vcds limits.the turbo actuator works ok moves like it supposet to.n75 moves the actuator and the vaccum pump does the same thing.thats ok.even with the new bosch MAF i cant get a higher value than 500. and the requesed same times is 850-900. today ill check for a clogged exhaust the only thing left in my mind it woud be that.maybe becouze of that turbo can't evacuate the gases fast enough to boost high enough,and not having where to push maybe the MAF cant read any higher value cuz is none.the other thing i dont understand is. at idle my boost is around 900.when i accelerate the requested goes up to like 1200 not higher at all at 3000rpm and thats the higher rpm i can go. the actual stays back at the 900-1000 not more.why is that? i can hear the tirbo spools like a champ. if i remove the load pipe that goes to the intake after turbo-intercooler i can feel realy good air pressure and how is changes.timing is perfect.i did it again and it was at its marks. the crank mark from the trans it was centerd with the lower part of the opening and i know it supposet to be right next to it so like 1/8 back from where it is now but i dont thing thats the big problem that i have.egr and n75 valves where interchenged and they work the same way.vaccum is around 15 at idle and it goes up to 25-30 as rpm goes up.as soon i i stop the engine the vaccum from my gage ill drop slow like in 15 sec to nothing.is that ok? or it means is a leak samewhere?i bought the car in none working condition from sitting at the dealer for like 2 months with broken tb.they may got same free replacement parts from this car and thats messing with me.who knows.
p.s. car now runs from a 1 gal bottle direct with no filter nothing to restrict fuel dellivery. i vannet to be sure thats not one of the problems.any ideas are welcome.thanks and happy new year to all of you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeppp that was clogged exhoust. after i removed the exhoust from the manifold,engine raves up like a champ ,maf reads correct aer flow and the turbo boosts like hell :)))) i just need a new cat and put and reset averithing back to normal. thanks to all of you even those who just read the post.thats happening when youre buying samebady elses cheap garbages. thanks again and happy new year tdi people.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after i cut out the cattalitic conv and welded back a strait pipe temporary, car runs ok. is not that fast like my allroad but i think it runs ok for a 100hp engine.ill go with same bigger injectors and a new map for my ecu. ill let you know when im done with it.for this moment im realy done with diesel projects. take care folks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hy folks. just wannet to let you know guys that i love so much my jetta that today i bought a 2000 beetle tdi for my girl. not bad deal has 160k miles and 5 speed,runs stronger then my jetta with auto trans,body and interrior 9 out of 10 and cost me just $2000. i hope with 2 diesels will save same money . the beetle it doesn't charge the battery at all. alternator is shutt.anybody out theare has any knowlage if the 2.0l beetle has the same alternator as the 1.9 diesel? thanks
p.s. if gas price goes up to $5/gal i think the only ones wholl go in vacations will be the ones with tdi and ofcourse the ones who sale that gas so high :))))

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I checked the parts catalog and it doesn't say. The difference is 90 or 120 amp but they should all be swappable. The TDI has a clutched pulley but they fail sometimes so if the new one doesn't I wouldn't worry about it or you can choose to replace it. The clutched pulley should make it last longer, it might have something to do with the diesel jerking on the belt but this is just a guess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi!

I have some problems with A4 1.9TDI 110ps which seems to have also less power than it should. It starts fine, boosts fine, about 0,9-1,0bar, no fault codes in ECU. Strange thing is about MAF, VCDS shows specified value 850 but actual is about 1200 mg/str in 3rd gear full throttle.
Does anyone have experience when MAF is showing value too high, I understood that when MAF won't go over 500 then it's bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts