VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son ran into what we think is a deal on a 04 jetta bew. Car has 105,000. Neither he or I have any sort of VW tdi background. I did fool with some VW sourced motors that Volvo used in the 80's. Have had a total of 8 hours exposure to the machine. Current issues with the car are multiple egr pipe failures. Apparently with decreasing mileage between failures starting with the M6 recall. We pulled the valve cover and have a badly sooted egr valve, and a damaged cam lobe on number 3 cylinder. Blowby seems excessive out of the crankcase ventilation system ,is packing oil vapors, and seems rhythmic, as in single bad cylinder. Am anticipating a camshaft replacement, intake cleaning, repair or delete of the EGR, but am considering rings and bearings also. Car still drives well and is delivering 35 mpg off from it's normal 40's. i need to do a forum search on hot idle oil pressures as that will influence whether or not we delve into the engine deeper than just the cam. I am aware of dual mass flywheel, and engine mount issues, is their anything else We should be looking at. Great forum and a ton of help when looking at a vehicle that we have no prior experience with.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Change the cam and clean the intake. There's a video of a cam bupping in the camshaft replacement writeup.

Don't worry about the rings or bearings until you fix those other things. The excessive blowbly is probably because diesels don't have vacuum in the intake so they use a vacuum pump. The exhaust for the pump goes into the CCV so that's probably the air you feel coming out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts