VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new and learning on your site. I'm planning to r/r the timing belt with a kit and tool set. The car has 160k and the 2nd time to r/r the belt. The stealership wants 1400 to do the job. The local german import shop wants 900. I work for free so I guess I get the job. Any comments or recommendations for the job. I have 2004 jetta 1.9 TDI. I just r/r the glow plugs and reset the engin light. That job was really simple. I'm sure the dealer would have nailed me on that one.

Wes:laugh:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the flash done some time back. It starts okay in cold weather. I have the tools needed for the job except the VW specific tools. Do you think I should inspect the cam as explained. It runs fine at this time.

Wes:panic:

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Welcome! On one hand if you need to replace the cam, now is definitely the time to do it. Doing it later will require you to redo everything. On the other, people only seem to find bad cams when they look for them :) or until the engine runs like crap. In a rare case the cam jams and causes the TB to jump and in the meantime, all the metal dust is bad for the engine.

welcometomyturbodies

1 - 4 of 4 Posts