VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My name is Jason, I own a 2001 VW Jetta 1.8T. I joined to be able to access the immobilizer thread, as I am having intermittent issues with the immobilizer.

I get the following codes:

17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
P1570 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

01176 - Key
07-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent

It happens with all my keys and rarely on the first start of the day. Google led me here and I am hopeful that the super secret immobilizer thread will help me sort it out.

Thanks!
Jason

·
Registered
278 Posts
The first code is obvious, it means your immobilizer is acting up.

The second code means the ignition coil antenna isn't working. Replace it. Its possible the chip might be bad but it's extremely unlikely.

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jason. welcometomyturbodies

VAG Error Code: 17978

EOBD II Error Code: P1570

Fault Location:

Engine control module (ECM) - immobilizer active

Possible Cause:
Incorrect/damaged key.
Incorrectly coded.
Engine control module (ECM)/Immobilizer replacement without coding.
Wiring.
Immobilizer defective.

EOBD II Error Code: 01176

Fault Location:

Key: Signal too Low

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON.

Immobilizer
Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Immobilizer Reader Coil faulty.
Immobilizer Reader Coil faulty.
Immobilizer Transponder in Key faulty OR incorrect Transponder in Key.
Remote Control:
Remote Control Battery low.
Remote Control faulty OR incorrect Remote Control used.

Possible Solutions:
Immobilizer
Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Immobilizer Reader Coil.
Check Key Immobilizer Transponder Status.
See Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Check/Renew Immobilizer Key Matching.
Check/Replace Key.
Remote Control
Check/Replace Remote Control Battery.
Check/Replace Remote Control.

Special Notes:
This Fault Code can be stored in due to Remote Control or Immobilizer Problems. On most Models these systems are separate and should therefore also be diagnosed separately.
In case of Engine Starting Issues please make sure that you are really experiencing an Immobilizer related Problem! On most models using conventional keys, the Engine will still start but cut out after 1-3 Seconds if an Immobilizer related Problem is the cause. On models using Kessy Systems and Electronic Keys, most systems in the car won't power up at all if if an Immobilizer related Problem is the cause. If you are NOT experiencing this behavior (e.g. Instrument Cluster powers up, and engine cranks but doesn't fire at all or engine won't crank) this is likely NOT Immobilizer related.
When found in Audi A3 (8L), Audi A4 (8D), Audi A6 (4B) or Audi A8 (4D), check Wiring from Immobilizer Control Module to Immobilizer Reader Coil. A known issue would be the Length of the Wiring, an optimized Replacement Part may be available 8D0-972-275).
May be stored in Combination with 17656/P1248/004680 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer in Engine Control Module.

As taken from my http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-eobd-ii-error-codes-software-2919/ ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts