VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
i will try to be as complete as possible.

i purchased this car last summer and it had 55K miles and these are the list of mods i installed within the first 2 weeks of my purchase so i never got a baseline on the mileage.

MK5 1.9L mods:
chip, 18" RS4, 23mm eibach RSB, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, ECStuning front 312mm rotor upgrade kit, Evolution skidplate , Stainless brake lines, great DG SS

* 18" wheels with General UHP tires 225 40 18
* local tuner installed a map that will provide the maximum power the stock clutch can handle. boost is set to 18psi
* best mileage on got during the summer was about 450miles/tank
* very little AC use.
* shift below 2200rpm in the city
* 60% autoroute 40% city
* 5 speed
* use additives for winter and summer
* most of the driving is done with one person in the car.
* no black smoke visible the few times i accelerate hard
* short burst (20 seconds) of higher rpm/redline when on the highway. can happen about 3 - 5 times a week.
* i purchase my fuel from FlyingJ which is a truck stop so i know the fuel is fresh
* at one point i thought my mileage might have been rolled back but the power is amazing, pulls very hard till redline when i need it. at -30C the engine turned on the first crank, GP stayed on for 5 seconds on that date, no loss / burning oil, oil is replaced every 6K miles and Total oil is used.

the engine now has 60K miles and i get between 400miles per tank; i do not think this is normal. my winter tires are studded General Altimax 205 55 16's

i figured the mileage might have improved with the 16" compared to the 18" but not much has changed. i know winter driving will reduce mileage but will 18" tires be destructive during summer driving?

if going up to sized does not hurt where else can i look to solve this problem?

should i sell this car and forget all about the PD engines? i have a 2002 that has a chip/240 nozzles/ARP headstuds with the stock turbo and this car has great acceleration and we still get close to 600miles per tank. dont get me wrong i know they are completely different engines but i dont think my mileage should SUCK to this extent on my 2006 mk5

forgot to mention that all my tires are inflated to 40psi.

are my 18" wheels worth keep or swapping for 16" in order to bring my mileage to where it should be. i have read reports that these engine can do 46mpg and some claim even more over on the tdiclub.com; is that totally unrealistic?

thanks for taking an interest.

Evan

J

·
0 Posts
Your mk5 is a few hundred pounds heavier than the 2002 so that makes a difference. Driving style makes a differnence. Fast starts from a stop reduce mileage. 16" wheels should have increased mileage a little, that it did not suggests another factor such as fuel or tires. In the winter, the car takes a lot longer to warm up and this also effects mileage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well,

i rescent vdub purchased a 2009 jetta and removed as soon as he got the car, so i would be buy those. do not know which tires vw provides on the highline's.

i was not comparing the 2 different engine i was trying to prepare myself for less mileage but gaining on size...

so what are the average people are getting with these engines, chipped or stock - i am at a point of considering going back to stock - maybe - depends on my wife's mood or do i really want to take the joy away from my kids of driving vw....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its manual and the aggressive map and .240mm nozzles did not effect my mileage actually improved but thats on a different type of engine.

the PD engine is very different and i dont have enough intermediary knowledge to know for sure.

* ideally i need a compression test and an oil analys but how old should the oil be went sent for analys. for example oil from north, eastern winters where salt can get into the oil. or is this taken into consideration....

* i use the Total brand for motor oil so should i wait and send in 10K miles used oil or 6K mil3s.

evan

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
IMO, your mileage is a little low since you can get good mileage with the other car. Just remember that the pumpe duse engines got slightly less mileage, and the A5 2005+ body was a few hundred lbs heavier and also bigger. All these reduce fuel economy. Maybe the handbrake is a little tight and rubbing?

You have the oil tested when it's at least a few thousand miles used. Salt shouldn't be getting into the oil. There might be a super fine salt mist in the air which gets by the filter but I'd think it would be burned up and shouldn't be a big factor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
compression test and oil analysis are my next step.

keeping everything else even how much will the identical tire size (General UHP) of 205 55 16 compared 225 40 18 will effect mileage. would it be safe to assume that 100km/60miles will be lost - perhaps more?

with the used cam effect mileage as some PD engine are prone to?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Some cars jsut get better or worse mileage than others due to build variation.

Different tires change mileage, your results may vary! Tread pattern of the same brand tire will also change between different sizes because although the rubber might be the same the size is different and the construction is different to accomodate the larger/smaller tire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts