VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out how to get into the timing belt installation thread. I hope the process isn't as hard as logging into this forum!

2002 VW Jetta 1.9 TDI, griped at wife to change her timing belt at 102,000 mi, finally broke at 198,000 miles. Got a wrecking yard motor with 97,000 for 2K and want to change the clutch, timing belt, and water pump before I stuff it in.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The human verification questions are really hard....seriously though, if I used capcha (the squiggly letters) human verification the board would be overrun by spammers in a day.

Are you changing the entire motor?

FYI, there's a writeup contest for step by step pictorials, how to swap the ALH engine is one that would be highly useful, if you choose to do this due to complexity, it has a very good chance at winning. Current prize is $50 e-gift cert to kermatdi.com .

Also, I would recommend a single mass flywheel if you're already changing out the clutch. No worries about dual mass flywheel failure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reply to CCBB

Yep, changing out the entire engine, as I found a 97k engine for 2 grand. I changed out all the expendables yesterday (clutch, waterpump, timing belt). I took your advice on ordering quality stuff and not the chinese made garbage from emiata.

My plan is to stick this engine in and do a good rebuild on her old engine with some good, high quality aftermarket stuff. Interested in the single mass clutch you were talking about. Hopefully she didnt crack a piston. What is your knowledge on what breaks when the timing belt jumps? Valves bent, no doubt, but what else?

Thanks for the great site and pictorials, they helped IMMENSELY!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Valves, valve guides, lifters, camshaft, maybe a rod bent, the pistons are normally OK. The bottom end is normally fine but again, you have to invest time vs. swapping out a good used engine.

The single mass flywheel is from the Corrado G60 (4 cyl)engine, you can find them everywhere. Don't get the Corrado VR6 engine because the 6 cylinder engine has different bolt pattern. Get regular weight, not lightened because on a TDI the light flywheel can cause some vibration. The dual mass flywheel dampens idle vibrations but it can also rattle. I also think the single mass has better engagement, everything else being equal. Some more info here: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/clutch-kit-FAQ-VW-Audi.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts