VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still don't understand how to test the alternator fan system, even though I gotten good explanations. Or I don't understand how the fan should work. Is the fan on all the time? Are the two sides of the fan supposed to work independently?

Help appreciated.

Jeff:dunno

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you re-explain how to test the alt pulley's clutch, or whatever it is that may be causing the tensioner to vibrate?

With the belt off, the alt pulley spins both ways, as does the fan.

I'm missing something and appreciate the help!

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
You're supposed to use something to prevent the fan from spinning then the pulley should move seperately one way only and not the other, if it moves both ways then it needs replaced. Just poke a screwdriver or piece of wood through the front of the alternator to hold the fan steady while you test, be gentle on it though.:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the fan held in place, the alt. pulley doesn't move either way. The fan and the alt pulley are locked together.

What does that mean?

Again, thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
It sounds like the clutch in the pulley is frozen or jammed. If you are holding the alt fan from turning, the pulley (the outer part where the belt rides) should be able to turn in one direction fairly easily but not turn at all in the other direction. I believe this is called a "Sprag" clutch. Here's a procedure to change pulley on an ALH motor:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=234251

Hope this helps.
Ron

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same Issue

Your Alt pulley is shot, mine went out and ruined the the serp. tensioner and then BROKE the engine assembly bracket (it holds the fuel pump, alternator, a/c comp. and the power steering pump). DO NOT DELAY FIXING IT! ID Parts has the pulley for $60.00 and the special tools needed to remove the pulley.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your Alt pulley is shot, mine went out and ruined the the serp. tensioner and then BROKE the engine assembly bracket (it holds the fuel pump, alternator, a/c comp. and the power steering pump). DO NOT DELAY FIXING IT! ID Parts has the pulley for $60.00 and the special tools needed to remove the pulley.

GOOD LUCK!
I will fix it ASAP but if the pulley is shot, why does it spin so freely (by hand) when the belt is off?

·
Registered
9 Posts
nature of design

the pulley will turn freely if you do not counter hold the internal fan. use a screw driver thru a slot on the Alt. counterhold fan. The pulley (if good) will still spin clockwise but not counterclockwise. if it won't spin in either direction, it is shot.

Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts