VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife spoke to an IRS agent today regarding the Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit. He explained you can claim up to the total amount of the credit (Jetta = $1300) depending on the amount of your tax liability (the amount of tax you owe or paid).

For example, if your employer took out $1,000 in taxes for 2009, you could take a credit of $1,000; if they took out $10,000, you could take the whole $1,300 credit. The key is the amount of tax liability, not whether you will owe or get a refund. (Note: this may not apply if you are subject to the AMT-alternative minimum tax).

We used the H&R Block "at Home" deluxe program, which filled in the form relating to the tax credit (form 8910).

·
Registered
220 Posts
IMHO, if your taxes are easy you can use those software programs. If you have many investments which can't be straight imported into a tax return software program you should still go to a CPA or the like. H&R block or those other guys are useless. They just sit there and enter your information into the software and know nothing about anything more than entering info into the software. There are many complaints about them as well, so go DIY software or go pro.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As a clarification, I believe the phaseout applies only to VW, not to Audi. They appear to be treated as separate manufacturers. The complete list of credits for diesels is here (note that this had not been updated for the VW phaseout as of today):

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxLeanburn.shtml

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
My suspicion is that VW and Audi will be treated as the same manufacturer because they use the same engines. This is because Lexus/Toyota hybrids were treated as the same. However, the Nissan Altima uses the Toyota hybrid system and wasn't treated as the same so I don't know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think VW and Audi would probably be treated as one as well.... Main reason is because they are like different divisions of the same company, sharing platforms, engines and other parts . Toyota and Lexus, like VW and Audi, are different divisions of the same company, sharing platforms, and other parts, therefore are treated as one. Nissan and Toyota, however, are completely separate entities -- other than the hybrid system, they share little else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts