VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howzit? Roy here coming from the 50th state introducing La Burrita, the wife’s 2005 TDI Jetta. She picked her up a few years ago so that we can get 40+ biodiesel mpg’s (We have some of the cleanest commercially produced by Pacific biodiesel). I guess it was a smoking deal* because the car had only 75k miles but unfortunately she has fallen victim to the BEW camshaft curse and has been Hawaiian lawn ornament for the last 15 months.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

The reason that I’ve stalled getting her back to speed is because I’ve been busy doing other projects such as making a shop worthy of such a fine automobile. The years of wrenching on the dirt has come to an end because I’ve finally finished (for now at least) the man cave : DASHAUS.
Cloud Sky Plant Wood Building

inside:
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Grass Floor

So the next step is to finally get La Burrita in the shop. She stopped running for a while because a rat chewed a rubber fuel line? I’ve since replaced it with a generic hose and got her going again but it happened one more time.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Hood

I‘ve acquired a Franko6 camshaft kit but still unclear about the special tools required. I was hoping the interwebs could provide a way to do it without or maybe making my own tools like some folks have. I am an intermediate noob when it comes to this engine or diesel engines for that matter. I changed the timing belt recently but had I known about the camshaft issue I would’ve done that too. I’ve found through my research that the belt job is halfway through the cam replacement. Even with its faults the car is worthy and really the dream is to steal the engine, start a YouTube channel and put it in my rig. 😁

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Sky

Wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I have a 2003 with 250,000 miles on it. At the last TB change I elected to replace the camshaft and lifters and the camshaft pulley. The cam was in pretty good shape but a couple of the lifters had stopped rotating and had the beginnings of grooves worn in them so I lucked out on that. New lifters were pre-charged with clean oil using a mity-vac - put the lifter in the pot, then draw a vacuum on it and the air comes out of the lifters and when you release the vacuum it sucks the clean oil in there. I mic'd out the old lobes and compared to the new, they were pretty close, but the lobes with the bad lifters had some pitting. If you can do a TB change you can do a cam change, take your time, follow the instructional materials out there and keep everything clean, very clean.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks rmchambers! I just finished the install and after a few tries, a jump start and some ether, I got her fired up again. I did the first part of the break in procedure and will change the oil and run for 500 miles as per franko’s instruction. I think I messed up on the tandem pump gasket as there’s a little tab poking out right by the bottom hose. Can one reuse a new gasket? I’ll post pics in the morrow. I’m stoked that everything went fairly well, crossing fingers that the timing’s ok once I verify with the VCDS. I can’t wait to drive this little wagon again!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Biodiesel is a type of fuel derived from oils and fats. It is considered a renewable resource, since it is produced from natural materials. Biodiesel is a clean burning alternative to petroleum diesel and can be used in any vehicle that runs on regular diesel. Click Here

1 - 4 of 4 Posts