VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2003 VW jetta TDI and i have just taken my turbo completely apart because oil is getting into my intake from around the shaft. I have been told that i have to replace the whole thing.I am hoping there is another way. I was searching online and found this link with specs and everything seems to be within specs so i have no idea why its leaking.I am wondering if the turbo was not working because of wastegate if it would create a neg pressure in the intake allowing oil to pass through the shaft. Thanks.

http://www.melett.com/turbo-parts-catalogue/Garrett/Garrett_GT15-25.pdf

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
A small amount of oil is normal but a lot is not. There's always a little bit of vapour going through the pipes from the turbo but if it is toast there are places who will strip it out and replace the internals. I don't know who does it but someone on here will know who does.
Here is a pretty knackered one.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f23/2001-passat-b5-5-1-9tdi-avb-5262/

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is no possibility of "negative" pressure in the manifold. Negative pressure= vacuum, and Diesels do not have vacuum. Oil bypassing the turbo in small amounts is normal. If the rear of your car is not covered with specs of oil don't worry about it. When the turbo really takes a s**t you will know!

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is why i took my turbo apart in the first place.
This is what they said was wrong:
1)Turbo wastegate sticking
2)oil in charge air pipes & intercooler
3)excessive carbon/intake/EGR/aproxx 60 %blocked

Road test with scan tool in measuring valve blocks:

-mass air flow sensor faulty/ not reaching spec values under load
-turbo boost spikes too high (sticking wastegate) causing intermittent fuel shut off
-injection quantity spec not met underload
-substantial lack of power noted
This is what my intake looked like at 120,000 miles is this the norm?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes, the intake manifold needs to be cleaned but that is considered normal buildup after 120,000 miles. The new ultra low sulfur diesel is supposed to be better at less intake buildup. I would have cleaned the intake before removing the turbo. Excessive idling could cause oil to leak past the seals but that could also just be worn seals. A little oil in the intake is normal and is from the CCV system. The vacuum pump exhausts into the crankcase and diesel engines tend to have higher piston blowby. This all creates some flow and oil mist which is recirculated back into the intake. Then the oil mist settles at the low spots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts