VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
1st off NEW MEMBER, FIRST POST!
Enough of the caps lock :)

If you want to just jump right to the last paragraph. Everything else is just an explanation as to how i got where i'm at currently.

I have a 02 Jetta TDI. Auto trans, bone stock, it's my fuel sipper, got her to save some cash because my 97 TJ Wrangler gets 10 mpg and i want to make my jeep's mileage worse. more lift, more tire, more Jeep. :)

Anyways, my fuel pump started making a noise one day, sounded like a seal was starting to go. well that seal went a while ago. Looking online and finding out that a new pump would cost me upwards of a grand i decided i would rebuild it. which to my surprise, there are no ALH teardown/rebuild guides online. I have taken many detailed pictures and plan on making one of my own once this problem gets resolved. I made a few phone calls and talked to some techs that have some rebuild knowledge. I was told it was more than likely the pick up pump that went out. so fine i ordered the parts got new seals for everthing, and dove right in with no instructions. Pulled the pump and took it down to the pickup pump, for those of you that dont know the low pressure pump on these pumps are burried within the pump ALL the way down. it's the last part to come out of the pump housing so i got a crash course in ALH pump rebuilding with no book or instructor, not the best idea.. :/

Because i had no guide to go by i put the cam plate in 180 deg. off *facepalm*. car wouldn't start had to rebuild the pump again, yay! fixed my rookie mistake and got it all back together cam/crank properly timed, and pump close enough. It starts, woot. i let the car warm up which was a little bit of a bitch because i assumed the pump timing was a little off and the car didn't idle on it's own until it warmed up for a minute or two. once it was warm i used VCDS to properly time the pump, pain in the butt to do btw, the smallest turn of that pulley to crank on the pump is a HUGE difference. take baby steps in adjustments if you are doing this yourself :).

OK now everything is properly timed, the car still takes a while to start (3-5 seconds of cranking). something is off. The car dies when put into gear, unless i rev up to 1000 rpm and then put it in drive, while the car moves it just doesn't have power like it used to and when i come to a stop i have to drop it in neutral or the engine stalls. I triple and quadruple check ALL timing marks. everything is fine...?!?! wtf is wrong now. Each injector squirts fuel when cracked, and cracking each cylinder causes lose of power, so if i had loss of power from a cylinder not firing, it would have ran the same with or without that injector line cracked. I can rule out any bent valve or anything like that. My pump IS NOT 180 degrees off, i've tried and flipped it 180 the car wont run at all.

Driving myself crazy looking for the problem i pulled off the injector return line (small cloth covered rubber line running back to the ip return line) start the car. NOTHING is coming out of the injector return line. so does this mean my pump is putting out just enough pressure to pop the injectors but no extra? Has anyone out there heard of this happening? is there a solution besides pump replacement? Im very mechanically inclined i will rebuild anything. I can strip that pump down to nothing but a housing in about 1hr. i've gotten pretty good at it :) I just need someone to point me in the right direction as to what to do next? any ALH pump pros out there? One more tid bit of info. I've driven the car around the way it is, but a hundred or so miles on it with NO check engine light. it's not throwing any codes at all. Thats another reason why i think it's the injection pressure causing the problem, there are no pressure sensors so there's no code to give.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
NEVERMIND!!!! probem solved. I dont know how i missed this post

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/IQ-adjust-hammer-mod-TDI.htm

It was injecting 28 mg/str holy crap what a difference it makes to have it sitting at 4.4 now. :)

Sorry to waste your time reading the above post, but if anyone had the same problem as me at least the solution was found.

Now to start righting the tut. on ALH pump rebuild. hope to have that done by the end of the week and posted on here.

I can't believe no one ever told me if i remove the top of the pump i have to do that adjustment. Thanks go out to Fstjetta for posting this in someone else's post that i just stumbled upon right now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
JoeBags please help

Can you please post info on how to time ALH ink pump. Is it with dial indicator? Also I think I too built my injection pump 180 degrees out. If engine #1 is TDC, should the button on the cam plate be pointing near 1 o-clock or 7 o-clock? Thanks

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Asmith now that you have a post you can go into the tdi tutorial section look at the timing belt article it explains how to time the pump. You'll need a vcds or vag com to do it properly....easiest method.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2001 ALH will not start

Thank you GT, but I still can't get it to start. Just as JoeBags, I rebuilt my injection pump. I took it off again today to check the timing of the wave cam plate. It's as close as I can get it to the factory timing. I think the pump pressure is just too low. Not only did I crack the line on injector 3, I took the nut completely off and the surge while cranking didn't even hit the battery. I need help. Joe said that his car ran before the vagcom tuning. My car should start, but doesn't. Can the injection pump put out so little pressure that the injectors will not pop? Has anyone else seen this problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts