VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Jetta, ALH, 205K, is going into limp mode and I think it is due to a sticky VNT actuator for the turbo boost. The operation of the VNT lever is sticky and difficult to do by hand.
My question is: Should I disassemble and clean it myself or should I consider having the seals replaced by a turbo re-builder? Are there other options available? Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Did you isolate the problem to the vanes by disconnecting the lever from the actuator rod? It could just be a bad actuator.

Since you already have some mods, it's not a bad time to buy a VNT 17 and breathe some new life into the car :) Also make sure to check other things and codes just in case it's not the turbo.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that simple advise. I didn't eliminate that. It would be sweet if that is the problem. I will detach the vacuum diaphragm and let you know. It may take a few days though. The 01 Jetta is now my wife's car so I don't think I will update the turbo. I just bought an 06 Jetta with BRM for my driver so I will be investigating possible mods over there. It has cam issues so I am waiting on parts in that department.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your advise was right on the money. Pulled the actuator off last night and sure enough, turbo linkage worked real nice and actuator was all bound up. Actuator is on order. For $100.00, I am back in the ball game.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts