VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had noticed what looked like air spoilers underneath the mk5 Jetta but wasn't sure if that was their primary purpose. I can now confirm that yes, they are there to be spoilers.

Here is a picture of the new Audi A6 underbelly which labels all the spoilers. The mk5-mk6 cars have spoilers underneath in about the same spots. Here is one pic of the mk5 Jetta (same on mk6 Golf). You can see the spoiler in front of the rear tire. They have an air dam in front of the front tires. I would not be surprised if the golf-ball like dimples on the plastic belly have a positive effect on aerodynamics as well as strengthening the plastic.

Attached below is the picture of the Audi A6 belly with the spoilers on it labeled.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Chitty
Yes, it is all about aerodynamics for better handling (not as critical in a street car) and fuel economy (critical in street cars).
If you are interested in the effect of aerodynamics on the motor car there several good books out there that I can recommend. Most are geared towards the racing industry but, are informative reading nonetheless.

cheers
dave parker

·
Registered
34 Posts
Aero Books

Dave,
Please do list any books re aerodynamics as relate to auto design, racing or street.
I have one which although published in 1986 is / or seems to be quite good. "Automobile Aerodynamics - Theory and Practice for Road and Track' by Geoffrey Howard, published by Osprey Publishing Limited. ( British with a somewhat euro orientation )
I look forward.
Cheers,
Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts