VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only did the fronts today before it got to cold and dark. I'll do the rears on the next go around. I got the complete set from Bold-Sport.com but if you miss the deal, here are the part numbers for what you'll need.

1K0 947 411 A - Warning Light (One Per Door)
1J0 971 972 - Connector Housing for Warning Light (One Per Door)
000 979 131 E - Repair Wire (One per light / Two for the Rear Doors Controllers)
000 979 009 E - Repair Wire (Two for the Front Door Controllers)

Start by pulling the door panel. Unplug the connector from the control module.

_MG_0960 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

Cut off the zip tie and slide the housing off the connector. To wire the lights, connect the hot wire to pin 18 on the door and pin 2 on the puddle light; the ground is pin 19 on the controller and pin 1 on the light.

_MG_0961 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

Reassemble, run on bit 6 on the last byte on the door controller with VCDS, and test.

_MG_0962 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
Sorry ToeBall I wouldn't call those Puddle light more like door exit warning lights Adding Door Puddle Lights to the Volkswagen Golf and Jetta.

The idea of puddle lights is when you unlock the door as your walking towards the car at night the puddle lights shine under the mirrors to illuminate any puddles. Your lights won't show unless you open the door which is a bit late after you have stepped in the puddle. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice write-up, ToeBall! Can I assume those of us with 2-doors can simply shorten the material list?

Correct me if I'm misinformed, but isn't the bottom of these lights clear? And that would be for puddles, right? :)

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Question concerning door exit warning lights. I have a 2011 Golf TDI 2-door. Both doors have the door exit warning light lenses, but they don't light up when I open the door. Is there something I have to do to get them to turn on?

·
Registered
41 Posts
In the interests of lowering costs, VW sent our cars over with only reflectors. ToeBall had the same until he did this mod. Looks easy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As promised, rear doors. Take apart the doors, and pop the connector off the control module using a flat head screwdriver.

_MG_0967 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

Use a flat head screwdriver to pull the locking tab out.

_MG_0968 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

Pin 14 is the hot connection, and goes to pin 2 on the light connector. Pin 4 is the ground, and goes to pin 1 on the light connector.

_MG_0969 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

Don't forget to push the locking tab back in. Reassemble the door. Coding is done in the module for the front doors. Use the drop down to change the module to be coded before opening the long coding helper. Turn on bit 6 of the last byte. That's all.

_MG_0972 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

Since there was some controversy as to how much they illuminate, here's a shot with the front and rear doors open on one side.

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have done the door (all four) warning lights (another great write-up ToeBall), and also I have done puddle lights under the side mirrors, and rear footwell lights. I can say that these are great upgrades and are fairly easy to do. Really a nice look.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
For those of you that have the auto dimming mirror(s) be aware that the lights are also controlled by the light sensor and will not always come on during the day. Also the front power wire space is populated by the wire leading to the outside mirror puddle lights, you will need to splice into this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts