VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's applicable to both mk4 and mk3 cars. They even use the same starter. The mk5 cars use a different starter but the removal and troubleshooting is pretty much the same. When I get the part numbers for the mk5 cars I will update.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/multi/starterfix.htm

for the searchers: how to start hard starter solenoid remove replace fix writeup

Also note that most of the technical info and writeups are in the FAQ section, see 1000 answered questions.

EDIT: Fixed link

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a message about the starter tips.

It's suggested to put the starter bolts right after they are removed to minimize the chance for the engine to sag and get out of alignment.

Someone also said that the plastic cable bracket can be mostly removed by sliding it off, I will take a look at the pics, but it's possible that they changed the part to allow for this.

Someone also said that the starter bolts nmmay be 17 instead of 16mm or vice versa. It should be pretty obvious once you get in there.

D

·
0 Posts
Possible but from the pic it doesn't look like the plastic bracket can slide off. They could have changed it.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Added clickable part numbers to worldimpex for both auto and manual trans starters.

Also fixed some grammatical errors and added some tips.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Added some more pics.

I revise old faqs as the opportunity comes up. Someone asked about the plastic bracket and how it fits, so I took the pic below. Also added a note about my super deluxe shop mirror :) See the OEM blind spot mirror writeup for that. The original mirror had flaked off internally so it was due for replacement anyways.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts