VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The adblue system is still under warrantee, but all the Saskatchewan dealerships , won’t book an appointment for 1.5 weeks to keep my car on the road. It’s winter, I’ve topped up the adblue, and left the car in a heated 65 degree F. Garage For 4 days and still can’t reset the adblue fault. I have to drive out of the province to find a dealership to help us repair or reset the adblue , as the car started warning me I had 350. Km. To refil adblue or forced shut down will occur. ITS WINTERTIME IN SASK. We live 45 miles from dealership, which won’t book an appointment till a week and a half, and the car now says I have less than 25 km. Before a no start. 3 am. I have to start on the road to drive 5.5 hours to get to a dealership, in Alberta to help us keep mobile. I am 67 years old, driving a 30,000.oo dollar car that will threaten my life, if I forget , and shut it off on this trip to a dealership that will do some juggling of THEIR customers to fit me in tomorrow morning. BUT NOT IN SASK! And heads up! If the system failed to reset, because of cold weather,, WHICH THE MANULE SAID IT IS SUPPOSED TO DO...I will be charged 2+ hours of shop time to reset the adblue. This system is designed for Canada! It will fail if it gets cold,,, and will leave you and your family without a car, in the winter , away from home, along side the road, anywhere , because of a fault code , that only permits a bit more particulates to go out the exhaust pipe, that potentially will cost you your life. In the winter. The Jetta tdi doesn’t have adblue, only the bit bigger passat. It is ironic that VW has decided in their wisdom, that they are willing to put your life at risk, for a bit more pollution prevention, , that you can not rectify because of a faulty reset glitch, but THEY WERE willing to falsify data, to sell more cars. Money is worth more to them than your life, it seems. And warrantees are no guarantee you will get help or be covered, BEWARE! Very disappointed in VW. AND TRANSPORT CANADA for allowing a no start in a car, a bit bigger than a Jetta, that doesn’t have this system, and leave you without a vehicle , potentially to freeze to death! I hope it doesn’t stop on my journey to an accommodating dealership in Alberta.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Norris, I have had the same problem in my 2012 Passat TDI SE in the past. Same concern about freezing to death as well in a Michigan winter. All of a sudden the AdBlue warning would flash, giving me 200 miles to no-start. It happened a number of times during long drives, and I would have to keep the engine running until I reached the dealer's lot. Dealers were stumped. Every time I took it in they would "regen" the car, which eliminated the warning but didn't fix the problem. Eventually a dealer replaced the Nox sensor and I haven't had this issue since then. The car now has 350,000 miles on it. Here are a couple of related posts:
Unable to reset adblue warning | TDIClub Forums
2012 VW Passat Adblue reset | Ross-Tech Forums (ross-tech.com)

I have a suspicion that the software update "fixing" the emission issue also introduced this problem in the 2012 Passats. Can't prove it, but that's what I suspect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Norris, I have had the same problem in my 2012 Passat TDI SE in the past. Same concern about freezing to death as well in a Michigan winter. All of a sudden the AdBlue warning would flash, giving me 200 miles to no-start. It happened a number of times during long drives, and I would have to keep the engine running until I reached the dealer's lot. Dealers were stumped. Every time I took it in they would "regen" the car, which eliminated the warning but didn't fix the problem. Eventually a dealer replaced the Nox sensor and I haven't had this issue since then. The car now has 350,000 miles on it. Here are a couple of related posts:
Unable to reset adblue warning | TDIClub Forums
2012 VW Passat Adblue reset | Ross-Tech Forums (ross-tech.com)

I have a suspicion that the software update "fixing" the emission issue also introduced this problem in the 2012 Passats. Can't prove it, but that's what I suspect.
I thank you for your response.
I stated my concern about this safety issue to Transport Canada, about any vehicle that would stop anywhere along a road, leaving the occupants stranded! A faulty adblue system at that! In Canada , the dealerships in Saskatchewan told me if at their discretion the fault happened because of cold weather, I would be charged 2-3 hours shop time to reset the fault. Even though the adblue system is covered under warrantee. What a scam,, what good is a warrantee ? Like some one said,, a low wiper fluid, low tire pressure, low brake fluid, etc. Won’t force a no start , leaving you or your family some where ,in a telephone dead zone, along the deserted road in the Everglades , or in the Canadian artic. So why in Germany’s wisdom would they force a no start for adblue?
My only other issue is, the instrument to read, time and distance,,, the speed omitter is 8-9% faster than actual! Never allowing me to calculate a trip accurately. And I was told by the dealership that all vows come like that now? What is with that?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stop blaming vw for something that is required by law. Ford/gm/ram allow you to go 5mph, rather then damaging the exhaust more vw, Mercedes and iirc BMW shut down. That said it could also be a eu regulation that causes this. Thank over reaching government that has decided it can.

Vw didn't choose to have egr, egr cooler, dpf, def..... that is all government required. It doesn't help the engine run better.... why would vw waste the time to design it. They were required to

1 - 4 of 4 Posts