VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1500 mile warning sensor came on for the adblue. It was serviced at 15,000 miles and the sensor came on at 19,000 miles. I suspect they didn't fill the adblue tank and the main storage tank is low. I added an emergency bottle and the sensor warning went out. Dealer says no need to reset warning sensor system. How does one fill the large tank? Dealer says they followed the Audi service tech bulletin. Does anyone have any ideas/in-put in this situation. As I told the dealer, if they forgot the Adblue at 15,000 mile service, what else did they "forget" to do! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. You're the first to tell me that the warning light goes out by itself. They released a TSB which said the warning light required dealer adaptation which means they have to manually tell the car's computer that it was filled.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DPF-Adblue-FAQ-VW-Audi.htm

Look through this FAQ article detailing how the system works. You can see pictures how the large tank is connected to the little tank - you only fill the small tank and Dutch van Atlanta also commented in this forum on fill behavior.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
My 1500 mile warning sensor came on for the adblue. It was serviced at 15,000 miles and the sensor came on at 19,000 miles. I suspect they didn't fill the adblue tank and the main storage tank is low. I added an emergency bottle and the sensor warning went out. Dealer says no need to reset warning sensor system. How does one fill the large tank? Dealer says they followed the Audi service tech bulletin. Does anyone have any ideas/in-put in this situation. As I told the dealer, if they forgot the Adblue at 15,000 mile service, what else did they "forget" to do! Thanks.
Standard Audi "procedure" is to add 2.5 gallons at delivery, 5 gallons at 5,000 miles, 5 gallons at 15,000 miles and 5 gallons every 10,000 miles thereafter. Your driving style might require more; but not enough to empty the tank in 4,000 miles.

Keep an old 2 liter bottle and cut out the bottom to use as a filler for the AdBlue port. Then buy a couple of 2.5 gallon jugs of the stuff. ($13.50 for 2.5 gallons vs $7 or $8 for the 2 liter or 1/2 gallon.)

Screw the cut off open bottomed 2 liter bottle on the port. Fill it from the big jug and press down on it to open the flow into the tank. Be careful that the air vent tube doesn't spray you in the face/eyes. (Ask me how I know this.)

You can add 2-3 fillups of the "funnel "bottle before it doesn't want any more. That's because (speculation) the small top tank is full, and it takes a while to run down to the main tank. Remove the "funnel" and screw on the port cap. Rinse any spillage away with a hose.

Drive it a few miles and do this again. The complete system from empty holds 23 liters or 6 gallons. It may take you several fills to completely fill it.

Good info to know that the level indicator will reset itself. I've always topped mine off before it showed a warning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts