VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....if you can afford it....the reason why it's best to avoid a car that uses AdBlue. Hopefully you should be able to buy the stuff online for cheaper. While BMW may cover, Audi doesn't have free service.

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/01/08/consumer-reports-pays-32-20-gallon-to-fill-up-on-adblu/

Some of us are big fans of diesel engines. Huge fans even. We love the slow-revving grunt. We love the incredibly long time it takes them to run through a tank of fuel. We love lazily cruising at 70 mph while turning over less than 2,000 rpm. There's even more to love, but we have to admit, none of us currently own a vehicle powered by a modern diesel engine that requires AdBlue, a urea-based solution that breaks down nitrogen oxide in exhaust gases that's required for some diesel-powered vehicle to meet strict emissions standards. If we did, we might be a little irked like Tom Mutchler over at Consumer Reports.

Mutchler recently took the publication's diesel-powered Mercedes-Benz GL320 BluTec to a dealer because a warning light indicated that the SUV was low on AdBlue. The total bill for a refill? $316.99! The GL gulped 7.5 gallons of this costly solution, which accounted for $241.50 of the total bill. For those who don't do math, that's $32.20/gallon. Labor and tax accounted for the remainder, which is also shocking considering the only labor involved was twisting a cap and pouring.

It took CR about 16,566 miles to run low on AdBlue, which means they'll be spending $1,457.80 on the stuff over 100,000 miles. Sure, that may not be a lot of money for someone who just purchased a $67,000 SUV, but Mutchler makes a good point reminding us that BMW covers this cost for its diesel-powered vehicles up to 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did you read the comments? Mercedes Benz = $. A truck stop was selling Adblue for $3/gal. The dealer was selling it for $32/gal. Problem solved.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Actually, problem not solved for many consumers.

Unlike the tech-savvy folks here, few of them will able to reset the AdBlue warning light. No big deal? Yes it is, because when some of these systems are out of AdBlue, the car will not run. Fill it with truck-stop AdBlue and neglect to reset the light and you may be bunking at that truck stop [g].

-dan

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yep, Audi does it differently as discussed in this post: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1986 currently you have to have the dealer reset not just the warning light but reset the computer to make it know that you refilled it. Otherwise it doesn't know you added any fluid. They do this so that someone can't put in water to trick the level sensor and ruin the adblue system.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Actually, problem not solved for many consumers.

Unlike the tech-savvy folks here, few of them will able to reset the AdBlue warning light. No big deal? Yes it is, because when some of these systems are out of AdBlue, the car will not run. Fill it with truck-stop AdBlue and neglect to reset the light and you may be bunking at that truck stop [g].

-dan
It'll run...you just can't shut it off because it won't start back up;)

I heard secondhand that Audi was thinking of a solution. Unfortunately I doubt any solution outside of using a VCDS to change the module adaptation will be as simple as pushing a button. I've seen ads for service light reset tools for BMW, perhaps there will be a simple tool to do the same for adblue.

The guy also said that there will be generic adblue available as well, probably cheaper than $3 per gallon. Obviously if you go to the dealer they are going to rip you off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is there a way to press some buttons and manually reset it? I know there are sometimes tricks to reset the service now lights.

·
Registered
30 Posts
that sucks! It should be as easy as putting in windshield washer fluid. there was a lawsuit over the smart keys and forcing vw to make them available to others, this has got to be a monopoly if I ever saw one - you must come into the dealer otherwise your car won't run! This is way beyond a service light that you can ignore! If they don't make some change I smell a PR debacle coming.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just ordered a 2011 VW Touraeg Lux TDI & are trying to get up to speed on adblue. I agree with everyone's commments about cost and the inability to reset the adblue warning light. Has anyone attempted to use a scangauge that you can buy over the counter at speed shops etc. to troubleshoot which fault codes cause engine warning lights and reset them. I have used mine on GM and Mazda vehicles to troubleshoot and believe the port is the same on VW's. It has been too long since I bought mine, however it probably costs $150. You would get that back rather quick if it works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Someone is being taken to the cleaners on adblue. The MSRP costs at VW dealer are as follows:

Here are the part numbers and costs for the Ad Blue (MSRP only):
• Kruise bottle : G -052-910-A2 - $8.00 MSRP
• 1 gallon : GUS-052-910-A1 - $6.00 MSRP
• 2.5 gallon : GUS-052-910-A3 - $13.50 MSRP
• 55 gallon drum :GUS-052-910-A7-DSP - $475.00 MSRP

·
Registered
1 Posts
info on adblue

Hello Everyone ,

Another thing about Adblue , Mercedes states it has a 2 year shelf life . When you purchase some , be aware of the expiration date on the bottle . Also at the 2 year service what is in the reservoir must be drained out and replaced with new fluid ( again be aware of the expiration date of what is being put back in ).
The last time I purchased some at a dealer the fluid was already a year old , that was ok since I was doing the 1st anual service . I told the parts person next year I will want brand new fluid . No one is saying yet what will happen with using expired fluid , will it goop up expensive components which will then need to be replaced? So i recommend you keep track of what is going on here to protect your investment . I don't think the dealers will want to throw out old fluid , so where will it go ?
Fluid for thought , Larry

·
Registered
278 Posts
I highly doubt that will work because the modules are so specific to VW. I doubt the VW setup is the same as the BMW setup or Mercedes Benz diesel setups. The scangauges are better for generic readings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ADBlue

Just bought a Passat 2012 TDI. The mileage between fill ups is amazing.
As per my owner manual, after filling up the ADBlue tank (the car must be level), turn on the ignition switch for 30 seconds (without starting the car) for the ADBlue tank to reset.
As far as sources for ADBlue, I am sure with enough internet research, one can find it for a far cheaper price then what a dealer charges.

Next week I will be driving from Washington, D.C. to Atlanta, GA. My dealer said I can make it on one tank. I will write and let you know if their claim was true.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts