VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too cool... I am putting together a buying guide for the next 2011 VW Touareg TDI and found that along with the Audi A8, they will have the world's first adaptive high beam headlights.

Currently, the optional xenon HID lights on the 2010 Touareg TDI will lower for self-leveling or when going to low beams. They will also turn into corners. Some cars have sensors that will point the beams down for oncoming cars. The Adaptive high beams will actually move a block off shield and/or in addition to the high beams moving down to actually change the beam pattern. Below is a demo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6mmQxfqo7o

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cool trick. That would be pretty annoying if it malfunctions. Imagine if it were to only point the high beams straight at other cars :D

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it's confirmed that the 2011 VW Touareg TDI won't get the adaptive headlights, at least in Canada. I got a look at the Canadian order guides and this is not an option or feature. Normally it's optional in addition to the bi xenon HID headlights.

I doubt it'll come to the US next model year because the lighting regulations may not be ready for it. Maybe for the 2012 VW Touareg TDI.

As a side note, the RNS 850 GPS system will be standard in all VW Touareg for North America. This is big, literally, because it's an 8" display and the dashboard is pretty much designed around it. On the Touareg hybrid, it displays charging -battery discharging information like the Prius.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts