VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see online articles on A3 adaptive Xenon headlights, but no reference to them in A3 literature. Is it an A3 feature? Does require VAG-COM enabling? This a critical issue for us in the decision to give up our CC for an A3 TDI.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also:
http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/tools/advice/glossary/dynamic_cornering.browser.html

The questions are:
1. Are they enabled on USA delivered cars?
2. If not, are they VAG-COM enabled?
3. Has anyone here enabled theirs?

This is a critical issue in our decision whether or not to replace our CC with an A3. The CC has cornering lights and they are invaluable for our old eyes. We're willing to give up some of the CC's luxury features to get an A3, but not the cornering lights.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Here's a youtube video of them operating side-to-side
Whoopsie! Sorry for the incorrect info. I was not aware that they had cornering ability. It looks like they have Audi xenon plus. Audi's website says

"Audi xenon plus Headlights with LED

The signature LED daytime running lights and high-intensity headlights not only add a distinct look to the vehicle, they also improve visibility while using half of the energy of conventional bulbs. In addition, Audi adaptive headlights utilize input from the vehicle's steering and speed to pivot up to 15 degrees allowing you to see ahead in the dark by lighting up corners more effectively."

I know there are other people with US spec A3 and HID, perhaps they can chime in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2011 A3 TDI and it does the autolevelling thing (looks weird when you turn the car on because they do a little up-down dance), but I don't know about cornering. I'll check tonight :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Audi's website says

"Audi xenon plus Headlights with LED

The signature LED daytime running lights and high-intensity headlights not only add a distinct look to the vehicle, they also improve visibility while using half of the energy of conventional bulbs. In addition, Audi adaptive headlights utilize input from the vehicle's steering and speed to pivot up to 15 degrees allowing you to see ahead in the dark by lighting up corners more effectively."

I know there are other people with US spec A3 and HID, perhaps they can chime in.
Is that from the US website? When I go to The premium plus tab on the US site it does not mention the tracking feature.

I also saw this thread last evening and decided to check it out. I pulled up close to my garage and tried to recreate the behavior demonstrated in the video and I did not see it. There was a very slight change in angle, but I am pretty sure it was simply due to the entire vehicle shifting. I think between these two observations I would conclude that the headlights do not have the corner tracking ability in US models.

By the way, my first post here and I want to say this site is fantastic. Great work. I got my first diesel vehicle a few weeks ago in the form of the 2011 Audi A3 - black with beige interior. I'm completely thrilled with it and hope to have it a real long time.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Well now I don't know but I'm going back to my original thought that they don't corner on US spec cars.

Yes, that is from the US website under the general Audi glossary. Since the premium plus tab says "Audi xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running lights" and under the glossary it says that description, I would assume that they do have cornering.

When you drive, do they corner? When you start the car and don't move, does it do this - if not you don't have cornering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dF9S0P67DM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHHMuSWt4iE

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, I don't believe they pivot from side to side like that, only up and down. I've never noticed it while driving either, but since I have never had headlights that corner before, I didn't know if it was immediately perceptible while driving or if I had missed it. I'll try to take a vid tonight of the headlights at start-up and post it.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
No, I don't believe they pivot from side to side like that, only up and down. I've never noticed it while driving either, but since I have never had headlights that corner before, I didn't know if it was immediately perceptible while driving or if I had missed it. I'll try to take a vid tonight of the headlights at start-up and post it.
OK, you would have noticed if they pivot from side-side, especially while driving. That video of a non US spec car was also the first I've heard of this feature on the A3 so I'm going to say that it does not turn. I don't know if it can be turned on because I believe cornering has extra control modules.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK, you would have noticed if they pivot from side-side, especially while driving. That video of a non US spec car was also the first I've heard of this feature on the A3 so I'm going to say that it does not turn. I don't know if it can be turned on because I believe cornering has extra control modules.
Right. Just for closure, here is a vid I took tonight. Not the best visibility due to the reflection on the white doors, but I think enough to show the difference with the cars that do have it.

[youtube]P5eCeqj0GK0[/youtube]

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
This is kind of echoing something I've said before, the A3 has a slightly sharper cutoff compared to the mk5 Jetta and mk6 Golf. This is from personal experience, having driven all 3 cars w/HID. It looks nicer but if you're not used to the contrast between the lit and unlit areas, some people have complained that their headlights were aimed too low.

Also JasonNH, I noticed that your lights didn't go through their up-down self calibrate. Have you ever seen it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I checked mine last night: the headlights do the calibration up-down thing but no side-to-side movement, confirming that the A3 doesn't have that feature in the US.

I still love the car though :)

Oh, and the Audi US website talks about a NUMBER of things that aren't available.

Like storing the power seat settings so you can hit a button to return them to your preferred setting after someone else has been driving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Which brings us back to the original question: is this something inherent in the equipment that is not enabled on US cars? And if so, can it be enabled by VAG-COM. And if so, how?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts