VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm serioulsy considering a 2010 Jetta DSG for my 90 mile round-trip commute to work 5 days a week. I'm obvisouly interested in the TDI for it's mileage. However, I'd really like to know how badly the mpg suffers at 80mph.
I'd like to hear from others who consistanly drive their TDI DSG Jettas under the conditions. I live in FL, so basicly the highway is flat and the a/c will be usesed 7-8 months a year.
Please include your mpg conditoins such as speed, distance, terrain, and whether or not a/c is in use. I'd really like to hear from people who have hand caluculated their mpg.
If the tdi does not get a certain level of mpg for me, it will not pay to purchse it despite it's other positive attributes. Thanks in advance for everyones help. John

·
Registered
60 Posts
If it doesn't get the mpg you want at 80 mpg, what else were you looking at? Jetta are great highway cruisers because they were built for the autobahn and I don't know what else can get that kind of highway mpg outside of a honda insight or prius.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Friend has a Jettasportwagen with manual, not DSG. At 80mph it really doesn't make much of a difference though. You'll always get over 40mph even driving aggressively. Loading it up with bikes on the top or trailering is about the only thing you can do to really kill it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
most likely mid to high 30's. My '10 jsw on a calm day at 75 will just push 40mpg with any wind its going to be around 37 to 38 mpg. At 65mph it climbs to 45mpg. Faster you go the worse its going to get.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the feedback. I had a 2006 Honda Civic with 5 speed auto that consistanly got 34-35 mpg at 80mph with the a/c here in FL on I-95 on my weekday work commute.
I also have a 2010 auto rated at 31mpg, however, under the conditions I drive, it is only getting 25-26.
I have always liked the VW's and almost bought one last year. But the numbers just didn't work out. Wih the price of diesel running 30 cents higher than gas and the higher cost of the TDI, it would not pay to buy a TDI if it did not get the mpg of my previous Honda.
This is not intended to turn into a debate about Honda vs VW, just simply a mpg question.
Again, I appreciate the real world mpg of those who drive like I describe. Thanks. John

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Having the A/C on is not going to hurt your mileage at all. Having the windows down will definitely hurt it though! Honda makes some good gas engines, very nice fuel economy and just enough power. Still, prefer the TDI to get ridiculous torque for the mileage.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
My global average is just over 40mpg in my 2010 Golf TDI 4-door manual. I drive 80 miles per day, mostly on the Pennsylvania turnpike at 75 to 80mph. I typically average about 45mpg on the way to work and 42mpg on the way home, but then I lose a little mpg driving here and there around home. If I drive 65mph, I can get 50+ on the way to work and 45+ on the way home. So generally, I think you take about a 5mpg hit going 80mph instead on 65. *Note: The terrain here in southeast PA is a little hilly.

The Prius is better, a number of my friends get 50mpg or maybe even more if they are careful. They also get to use regular fuel, which costs significantly less than diesel in my area. In my area, diesel costs as much or more than premium. My car is significantly more fun to drive, however, and mostly my friends seem to like my car more. I know I don't want the Prius, but it does get great mpg.

Honestly, considering the cost of diesel in my area, some other cars would be as cost effective or even more cost effective. For example, a regular old Honda Civic gets in the low to maybe mid 30s for mpg on the highway. They also use regular gas, so the reality is the Civic might cost about the same for fuel. I think it also costs much less to purchase a regular Civic. With the hybrid Civic, it would likely get the same mpg as my TDI, but you would save buying regular gas. The Prius is the clear winner for cost of fuel.

I love my TDI and would not switch, but there are some costs and also the odd-ball things about owning a diesel. That is the reality.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Expect 40 mpg with a steady 80 mph on a flat highway. I set the speedo at 74 on my 100 mi commute and get 42 on average. 40 of 100 miles is on secondary roads at 60-65 so a bit better, but you can expect 40 mpg.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Expected mileage

Hi,

I have a 2006 Jetta TDI w DSG Transmission, and I drive about 96 miles to and from work, and twice a month 320 miles in the weekends. I keep meticulous records of my mileage since I bought the car, and most of my commute is highway 80% highway and 20% local.

Here is what you can reasonably expect mileage wise.

At speeds of 75 - 80, with or without ac you will get about 38 or 39 mpg, which I used to get. In Jan 2009, I resolved to drive at speed limit, so I started driving at 70 mph on highways, my mileage increased to 42 - 43 mpg. Keeping the tire pressure high (40 - 42 psi) helps increase your mileage slightly, but you compromise with slightly higher road noise and harsher ride.

Right now I have 149k miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies everyone. This is making the Jetta look even more promising for me - especially since I have just seen an ad today for $4k off all remaining Jettas in stock! john

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. This is making the Jetta look even more promising for me - especially since I have just seen an ad today for $4k off all remaining Jettas in stock! john
Might want to check that means TDI. I've never seen a TDI sale yet.

·
Premium Member
9,677 Posts
Hi guys.

First post on here though I've been on other VW forums for 10 months or so.

Now quoting mpg figures the only thing you can show is whats displayed on the MFD (memory 1). Now cruising on a motorway can show different results depending on ambient temperature, wind direction, road surface, tyre pressures etc. Cruising at 70mph for a few miles will show 56mpg, cruising at 80mph for a few miles will show 54mpg.

Now you will find that memory 2 the overhaul average will always show a slightly higher average that actual calculated (full tank, use it, fill tank and calculate). Thge highest calculated average is 43mpg and the lowest was 38mpg for my GTD, I've had the car for 6 months. ;)

Fuelly, Golf GTD (170PS)

·
Premium Member
9,677 Posts
Having the A/C on is not going to hurt your mileage at all.
Oh I forgot to mension about this reply. Anything that takes power of the engine uses fuel I don't care what you say.

I was cruising on the motoway a few months ago and I noticed it was getting warm in the car. As I've said previously it will show about 56mpg at that speed on that day. I put the AC on and mpg slowly dropped down to 51.4mpg. As the car cooled down I switched it off and it slowly went back to 56mpg again.

I left it for another 30-40 miles then put it on again and it dropped by 5mpg each time. Now depending on the system and engine it can knock off 5-7bhp, so are you still saying it doesn't affect the mpg?

I'm not that bother as in the UK its not really need AC, I know AC dries the air as well? ;)

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Oh I forgot to mension about this reply. Anything that takes power of the engine uses fuel I don't care what you say.
Really now. Does that mean you're not even going to consider my response?

I left it for another 30-40 miles then put it on again and it dropped by 5mpg each time. Now depending on the system and engine it can knock off 5-7bhp, so are you still saying it doesn't affect the mpg?
Yes I am going to say it doesn't affect the mpg in any noticeable way. It doesn't really take BHP off so much as it a product of the torque. I've not noticed having the A/C on affect the displayed mpg at all. Also the onboard display is not where you want to go for accurate data anyways; the algorithm to generate the numbers is far from perfect. It is very susceptible to inaccuracy the more uneven terrain is involved.

I'm not that bother as in the UK its not really need AC, I know AC dries the air as well? ;)
Was this a question? Yes it does put out air with lower humidity.

·
Premium Member
9,677 Posts
Also the onboard display is not where you want to go for accurate data anyways;
But the MFD reading is the only one you can go by straight off. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got a 2010 JSW with DSG.
I drive 340km Montreal Ottawa return everyday (340km 211 miles)... average speed 115 kmh which is 71 mph. Over the last 18000km (~11100 miles) including 5% City driving i get 5.8l per 100km (40.55 mpg). And my a/c is always on, tire pressure 40.5 psi.

·
Registered
102 Posts
mpg

My three long trips Philly to Boston, Reston, Va. and Gettysburg, PA were 50, 51 and 53 mpg going at 58 miles per hour. 65 miles per hour takes it down to like 44mpg. I have gotten 60 mpg on a short 15 mile trip near phiily on route 476 southbound. So whats the rush?

1800 rpm is the optimal mpg speed. Add Good Year fuel max tires and the taylor couple got 68mpg for the world record in Guiness.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Having the A/C on is not going to hurt your mileage at all. Having the windows down will definitely hurt it though! Honda makes some good gas engines, very nice fuel economy and just enough power. Still, prefer the TDI to get ridiculous torque for the mileage.
You don't actually believe that do you? I can see the difference in a tank of gas using the AC costing me nearly 2mpg on average.

Consumer Reports has done extensive studies on using AC versus having the windows down, guess which one burned fuel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
39.4 MPH - 6 spd - JSW 2010 - Diesel with 6oz Diesel Kleen

Solid 80 mph cruise speed last weekend; Occassional boost to 87 mph; distance was 213 miles each direction (with an additional 68 miles each way at 70 MPH) averaged 39.6 with 8 mph headwind returning home. (AC used on way there) driving terrain was flat eastern Oregon.

Ave: 39.4
Tire Pressure 36 psi all around
8888 miles logged.

Not as good as the 2005 PD JSW - but enjoyed Sirus Radio.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
You don't actually believe that do you? I can see the difference in a tank of gas using the AC costing me nearly 2mpg on average.

Consumer Reports has done extensive studies on using AC versus having the windows down, guess which one burned fuel.
Yes I do. The smaller the engine the more pronounced the difference is going to be. The TDI has so much torque it is negligible. You say gas, are you meaning diesel as in you tested your TDI? I've tested during April (month I got my car) when I didn't need A/C and could keep the windows up. I noted no statistical difference. I'll test again this fall now that it is broken in and see if there's a difference.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts