VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AC working fine last summer.
Blower motor resistor went out this spring. Flipped it today and it works enough to test the AC. (Since the AC doesn't turn on at Fan speed 4). Fears confirmed no cold at all.
Got a DIY refill can with the pressure gauge and refill hose.
However the pressure reads in the RED the whole time. This is with just the gauge attached and with the can screwed on.
Both when I'm running the car with the AC on high, with recirc, blowing hard; and when the car is off.
If i turn on the fan and then press the AC button i can hear the clutch engage. No squealing or grinding but sounds a little clunky but i don't know what it's supposed to sound like.

What the frig is going on here?

thanksforreading,
eli.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When the car is off or the compressor stopped, the pressure in the system depends on the ambient temperature only, assuming that there is any liquid in the system. It is only when the system is in operation that the pressures can give you any indication of the proper charge.

When the compressor engages, it pumps from the low side to the high side, so the low side goes down and the high side goes up. (The desired pressures will be in the form of a chart, that you can find in the service manual.) Your can and gauge connects to the low side. Does the pressure drop at all when the compressor engages? Does it stay about where it is but flutter? Does it do nothing?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts