VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 volkswagen jetta TDI with 150k and my wife noticed the ac was not cooling properly. I checked the manifold pressures with the gauges and the low side pressure was 0 psi and the high side pressure was 300 psi originally and then changed suddenly to a low side pressure of 70 psi and a high side pressure of 225 psi. I suspected a bad expansion valve and replaced the expansion valve, drier accumulator, flushed the system, and recharged the system. When I tried to recharge the system after vacuuming, the pressure jumped immediately to 70 psi on the low side. I discovered the driver side rad fan was broken and even after replacement and recharge the low side pressure is still 68 psi and the high side pressure is 198 psi with a slight overcharge and intermittent to no cooling. The clutch engages and I checked all of the fuses. I think my compressor is shot due to the high pressures in the system caused by the broken rad fan not pulling heat off the condenser. Before I cough up the money for a new compressor I just though I might ask someone with more experience than me if something else might cause these symptoms. Man is it hot in Savannah right now and I need me some ac.
Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
If your fans are not turning with A/C on your pressures will be high and no cooling. I had to replace fan control mounted on drivers side front frame rail(under rail)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am going through the same issues with my 01 NB. If you have both fans running low speed with key on and A/C button pressed then you can proceed with the compressor. Both my fan motors were bad on the low side (brushes stuck) which caused the sys. to overheat.

I followed the show threads on TDI Club and pulled the compressor then the back off and found to be very clean so I ordered the control valve, dryer, oil and gasket set (less $100 w/ship) from Polar Bear out off Fla.

This is a great site and these guys helped me alot, I was just recieved the info I needed over there 1st. Way too much info for me to repeat so if anyone can point to the info here, please do.

Lessons Learned: Check the high and low speeds of your fans often.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lesson Learned

Fans work fine now that I replaced the driver side fan, but the damage is done. LESSON LEARNED - CHECK THE FAN OPERATION OFTEN OR YOU WILL BE OUT A COMPRESSOR OR WORSE.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts