VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AC is not working and I do not want to repair it, I want to delete it from the serpentine belt pulley system and just leave the pump attached to the car for now, in case I want to repair the AC at a later date.
My problem is that I have read that all you need to do is buy a smaller belt, I have also read you need to change the belt and one of the pulleys to delete the AC. I hope the former is the actual method. If anyone has done to their car or knows how to do it ?

My car is a 1998 beetle AGR model motor

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I was just looking at an AGR the other day but it looks a bit tricky down there for re-routing the belt, haven't figured it out yet. Mine doesn't have the AC so my PS pump is at the bottom, alternator just above then it's just the crank and tensioner but on the Ac equipped car I see it has the PS at the top, alternator below, AC on the bottom, at least one idler, tensioner and crank and the belt seems to go all over the place. I'll keep an eye on this thread.:)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any one delete their AC :dunno ? or no some body who did ? :confused:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to figure this out, when I do I will post pictures and instructions.

Here is the belt path for non AC
The power steering is moved down to the bottom.

1 Harmonic balancer
2.Tensioner
3.Alternator
5.Power steering pump

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
If you want any measurements/pics etc let me know, my AGR doesn't have the A/C thankfully but I think the main difference is the frame that everything bolts to because the PS is on the bottom instead of the top. If you have a diagram of your existing setup I wouldn't mind having a peek to see if I can figure out a way of leaving the PS where it is.:)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Please do. There's a contest for original writeups. The more pics the better, see guidelines in the general forum sticky post. Vancouver island is pretty cool but if you're in Texas, I don't think anyone would want to delete their AC :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright guys, I will get to the bottom of this..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts