VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just involved in making a batch of bio diesel. I'll start using it in my truck right away. Now the tricky part. The wife wants a diesel car for the commute so she can preserve her dear-to-her-heart Mr2. She's decided she likes the 2002 Jetta.

As I am new to these cars, I have no idea what the pros and cons are. Are there any problems to watch for? Is the automatic transmission durable? Does the paint fade?

Any and all advice will be most appreciated. If I buy her a car that turns out to be a problem child, well, all you married guys know what happens next.

Thanks,
Kent

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
The automatics in the 2003-and-older TDIs don't have a particularly good reputation for reliability... (Rather, they have a reputation for reliability insofar as they can be relied upon to die at about 128 - 160,000 miles.)

The 2004-6 automatics are quite a bit better, but the engine design was changed and some people don't like the "improvements"... (As well, they may not take as kindly to Bio-Diesel use...)

I wish I knew of a crack TDI mechanic close to you, but the only ones who have an outstanding reputation are about 2 - 3 hours away... These cars are rather picky as to how they're maintained, and caution should be the guiding principle. It would really help if you were mechanically inclined...

Good luck,

Yuri

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yuri,

I am somewhat mechanically inclined. I'll do all the routine things - kick tires, check fluids, look for leaks, listen, ...

I was wondering about particular items. The trans and maintenance information was gold.

Thank you very much. I'm looking forward to this new experience.

Kent

1 - 3 of 3 Posts