VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

ABS Light - Wheel Speed Sensor - Rear Left

102K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Dr John C bullas 
#1 · (Edited)
While driving the ABS light illuminated and I checked the codes when I got home:

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1C0-907-37x-ABS.LBL
Controller: 1C0 907 379 L
Component: ABS FRONT MK60 0101
Coding: 0004097
Shop #: WSC 00066
VCID: 3319726F122D
1 Fault Found:
00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Left (G46)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I searched the site and it looks like the speed sensor is a straightforward replacement. Are these common wear items and is there a chance that it could have been caused by something else? I replaced the hub/bearing assembly on the left rear about 10k ago; could that have something to do with it or is it just coincidence? I paid particular attention not to damage anything during that work.

A sensor only costs about $30 so it's not a big money item; I just don't want to throw money at it if it's something else causing the sensor to read wrong. This was the only fault in the system.

I prefer not to drive with known problems and don't have to drive the vehicle until it gets fixed, but if I get in a jam and have to use it, other than the ABS not working, would I be potentially damaging anything or run into other problems?

Any tips on doing the job would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
VAG Error Code: 00290

EOBD II Error Code: P1726

Fault Location:
Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Wheel Speed Sensor: Rear Left (G46) - Signal Outside Specifications/Electrical Fault in Circuit

Possible Cause:
Open Circuit in Wiring from/to ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Left (G46).
ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Left (G46) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Check Wiring from/to ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Left (G46).
Check/Replace ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Left (G46).

VAG Error Code: 00290

EOBD II Error Code: P1726

Fault Location:
Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Wheel Speed Sensor: Rear Left (G46) - Mechanical Malfunction

Possible Cause:
Excessive Air Gap between ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Left (G46) and Rotor.
Short Circuit in Wiring from/to ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Left (G46).
ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Left (G46) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Check ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Left (G46) Installation.
Check/Replace ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Left (G46).

As taken from my Free EOBD II Error Codes software

• Helpful
Reactions: AG-Admin
#4 · (Edited)
Thanks, guys. A new sensor is already on its way - Marquette Automotive is great - and I won't drive it until it gets addressed. I was very careful during the hub installation so I'm hoping its a coincidence that the sensor went bad.

It looks pretty straightforward; I can't say I can do it in 4:23, but here's a video in case anyone is interested or runs into the problem in the future. I'll post an update when it's done.

PS - Dealer wanted $75 for the part and $199 to change it out.

#5 ·
Out of couriousity did you remove the dust sheild when you did the bearing/ hub replacement? I took mine off when I did a similar job, as I'm sure you know up north here thin pieces of metal rust away to nothing . About three months later I got a rear wheel sensor code, it seems that the dust sheild is needed to keep all those brake parts working properly. My sensor died from having winter sludge deposited on it , replaced it, and I had to clean the tone ring on my brand new hub, live and learn.

#7 ·
No, I didn't touch the dust shield. Tire pressure is good and there is no hum like I experienced when I had a bad bearing and the entire hub assembly isn't very old so the sensor ring should be good.

Later this morning I'll put vcds on and check if I can read tire speed on one of the measuring blocks.

I'm banking on it being a bad sensor and from what I've read it's not an uncommon problem.

#10 ·
I just wrapped this project up and it wasn't a big deal. I hooked up the VCDS and checked the ABS faults, cleared it, it returned, went into Measuring Blocks and spun each tire and watched the tire speed get registered on each other three and nothing on the driver rear. The tire pressure was normal, I cleaned the magnetic part and tried to spin it again, no change, tone ring was in good shape, bearing was still like new.

I unplugged the sensor and started to remove it and it fought me every step of the way. I butchered the hell out of it getting it out but didn't hurt anything. The new one was equally tight and I took a file to the sides to gently grind them down slightly. It went in tight, I screwed it down (the 5mm allen bolt came off easy with a little PB Blaster), spun the tire, and saw the sensor reading speed. Reassembled the rotor, caliper, tire, cleared codes, and took it for a drive. No problems.

#11 ·
I just experience some similar codes in my car but found out it was the wiring and not just a sensor. I started with the sensor. It did not fight with it as much as you described above on the way out (don't get me wrong it was tightly in there and required some gentle prying with two screw drivers) but I learned quickly that it needed a little grease (which recommended in the manual) to convince the new sensor to fit in the hole.

Perhaps this additional information would fall under DIY but I figured it may not hurt to be attached here since I came across this thread when I was looking to solve my ABS/ESP problem and could not find a guide to replacing the rear abs wiring harness on the Mk5.

For that reason, I will post it in a separate reply in case this is not the right place.

#12 ·
ABS Wiring Harness Replacement - Rear Left - Mk5 2006 Jetta

The reason for writing this is because I was not able to find a good guide on how to perform the ABS wiring harness replacement. There was some information about repairing the wiring harness on other models but none that I found quickly for the Mk5.

Recently I started having my ABS/ESP light come on intermittently while driving. The ABS also actuated a few time while driving when slowing down gentle. Additionally, my cruise control would shut off by itself everyone once in a while. These things did not always happen when the lights were on.

VCDS indicated that this was a problem with my Rear Left ABS Speed Sensor.

I tried replacing the sensor but the problem persisted. The code changed from implausible signal and electrical fault to just having an electrical fault.

While the wiring harness looked fine during a visual inspection, it appeared to be very tight between the bracket and the connection to the abs sensor. The inside of the plug also looks like it could be damaged.

After some web research, my husband and I tried to test the wiring harness by using a resistor to see if this completed the circuit (several comments indicated that some ABS sensors are defective from the part store so this was to ensure this one was not).

This still caused the VCDS to return the same electrical fault code.

I purchased the wiring harness directly from a VW dealer since I was trying to get my car up and running and they had one in stock.

Part No. 1K0927904BA , it was about $90.

The part number of the one removed ended with a Q.

Here are some places online that the wire could be purchased from for a little less:

http://www.jimellisvwparts.com/prod...ARNESS-LOOM-FOR-LOOM/5203673/1K0927904BA.html

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--TDI/Braking/ABS/ES1853286/

Here are the steps followed to get this job done.
  • -Remove the wheel (in my car the Rear Left).
  • -Disconnect the connector from the sensor.
  • -Remove the wheel well cover (this exposes where the wiring harness enters the car).
  • Tire Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

• -Remove the bench seat (I founded the instruction in the Bentley Manual (72-5), Basically take out the plastic clips that are there for car seats, lift up on the front to get it out of the clips then push the seat back to get it off of the hooks on the back, then fight a little to get the seat belt receivers out of the seat)
  • Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Auto part Vehicle door

• -Next to go are the two trim pieces closest to the door. There are two procedures for doing this depending on whether or not you have Air Bags in this section. I do not. If you do have Air Bags DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!
    • Again, referred to the Bentley manual (72-6 & 72-7) to figure out how to get this out without damaging anything. There was a 10 mm nut you have to remove at the base of the first trim piece (this is why it was recommended to take the bench seat out.) The next hard plastic piece was held in by a plastic nut at the bottom and 2 -T25 screws. This you have to lift up on in order to remove it.
    • Vehicle Car Auto part
  • -With the trim out, the wiring harness where the ABS wires goes are exposed, cut the wires to the old harness and spliced in the new harness. This was done by using Raychem Heat-Shrink DuraSeal Butt Splices (awg 22-18) purchased at Home Depot.
  • -Attached this to the sensor, and the code is now gone.
  • -Now it is just a case of putting back all of the pieces taken off and you are done.

After getting the old harness out, I peeled back the rubber boot closest to the connector and could see that the wire was frayed and broken. The weather tight grommet that was once in the connector had pulled itself out.

Technology Cable

Hopefully this helps the next person with this problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.