VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been waiting, impatiently, to get an A5 TDI since it was announced in Europe more than 2 years ago. I understand this option is popular outside of the U.S., but still not available to me here. I am beginning to see indications that the 2011 A4 will be available with the 3.0 TDI, but still not the A5 which shares the platform. Can anyone tell me why Audi would be so slow to make the A5 TDI for the U.S. Why spend so much to develop and race the R10 and R15 sports cars and not make product available in the showroom?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
My best guess is that Audi will introduce an A4 TDI in 2011. Maybe 2012. I've heard that they are working on it but there is no official announcement.

The A5 w/TDI in the US is possible but I haven't heard anything about it. You can now even get the A5 with a 2.0T engine...it's a slug so the 3.0L TDI engine would make sense. It costs money to import the cars and since they are selling every TDI that they import I don't know why they aren't more enthusiastic about bringing them here.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don't think they are making the R10 and R15 for the US market. Same with BMW, their cars in Europe aren't as high end and most are diesel. In the US BMW and Audi are more high end and they don't care much diesel.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If they do have an A5 TDI, I'm sure it wouldn't come until after a A4 TDI, maybe for 2012. The A4 is the volume car and has the best chance of succeeding, the A5 is a 2-door and Audi would be mistaken to follow the mistake of the BMW 335d. Have a cheaper volume car and give it greater fuel economy - that's why people buy diesels - this is why they need a 4 cylinder Audi A4 TDI. I just read the review of the BMW 320d and that car would sell very well here and make up for the mistake that is the 335d. It sounds like a great car and the 335d is just too expensive, not fuel efficient enough.

·
Registered
57 Posts
2nd, the A4 is the keystone. If they bring more TDI the A4 will be the first one to get it. If it sells well then maybe the A5 and A6 will get TDI options.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts