VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am prepairing to replace the timing belt in my 2006 Jetta TDI, my owners manual states the interval is 80k miles but I notice many sites say it is 100k miles. The forum has much more information than you could ever gleen from the manuals and the pics are also much better.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Thanks, each pic is the best of a number of pics. Multiple pics are taken to ensure that it's in focus and usable, and it's all free to use vs. the $100 manual.

Some mechanics have recommended 100k but the official interval and the safest bet is 80k miles. I think VW reduced it from 100k to 80k. They also did this with the mk4 Passat TDI - it used to be 100k but they reduced it to 100k. Don't know why.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Maybe it was lowered from 100K to 80K, so that way when you had the belt changed, the mechanic would notice the cam wear before it put a hole in the cam followers?

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I am about to change my belt this coming weekend. I have noticed the 'Gates' powergrip belt I have for my A5 has no direction arrow on the belt. Does this mean the belt can go on in either direction....:dunno...thx

·
Registered
298 Posts
I am about to change my belt this coming weekend. I have noticed the 'Gates' powergrip belt I have for my A5 has no direction arrow on the belt. Does this mean the belt can go on in either direction....:dunno...thx
Yes. You have to mark it if you remove it and reuse it.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Ahh...ok..brand new..either direction....reusing for whatever reason must go back in direction it was going....thx its brand new so i'm ok.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts