VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an A4 2.0 TDI avant and the oil pump chain has broken whilst at the traffic lights. The car is a 2005.
I have stripped it down and need a replacement chain, tensioner and a chain cover, gear looks okay .
Does anyone know the part numbers? the Audi dealer says they are not available!!
does anyone have a picture of what the top gear is supposed to look like as I may need one of them as well there is some damage to the edges of the Gear but not the teeth. I will take a picture of what I have and post it here for opinion and advice.
Is this repairable or will I be forced down the short engine route.
Cheers

·
Registered
278 Posts
IIRC they stopped making replacement chains because they knew the design was bad. You can put on the gear driven oil pump but we didn't get that engine here. I know that later Audi can do the swap. What engine do you have? Audi put the gear driven oil pumps on later engines and it's common in the UK to swap them.

However, before you just change the oil pump, it's possible that your main and rod bearings are shot. If you have low oil pressure, it could have damaged the camshaft or turbo tool. I'd inspect those and then decide wheter to replace the short block, sell the car as a parts car, or swap a new oil pump on.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

What is your engine code? There should be a 3 or 4 letter code on the timing belt cover sticker. I will look up the replacement parts. However, I would not replace the chain since it will just fail again.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b5/oil-pump-failure-passat-tdi.htm

Read this. Corrective steps and things to inspect are near the bottom. Remove the oil pan and balance shaft module and check the main bearing clearances and bearing condition before replacing the pump. Check the cam for wear. If those are bad, you could easily repair them but it would be faster to get a new engine and part out the old one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi the timing belt cover letters are BLB
the engine has done 120000 miles and had the cam belt changed 3 weeks ago.
Is the general concensus that with the mileage and the cost that it would be better to send it to the scrap yard?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Sorry, that chain is no longer available and they deleted the part number from the parts catalog.

The replacement parts force you to swap to a gear driven module. The part number for the module is: 03g103295L . You'll also need a gear for the crankshaft. I'm not exactly sure what is included in the module but you'll also need misc hardware.

The mileage is nothing and I would investigate more unless insurance can pay you for the car. I would inspect the main and rod bearings and the camshaft. If they're good, replace the oil pump and balance shaft module and the car is good to run. If the bearings are bad you have to check clearances. If the clearances are good you can polish the crankshaft and install new bearings. If the clearances are bad, get a new engine. It's still very possible to save the engine but it costs money to check these things if you can't do them yourself.

Good luck and please let us know what you decide to do or if you have more questions.

·
Super Moderator
9,140 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

Well if chitty says there aren't available maybe thats in the States. If you've tried the dealers and they say they aren't available then it must be true. Now the Avant engine details aren't easy to follow as they combine both the V6 and I assume 4 cyl TDI in the same section, I assume they are both TDI. They also show different codes for 2005 engine 8E-1-000 001 >> 8E-5-400 000, 8E-5-400 001> Do you know the engine code, AVB, AWX, BKE, BRB, BRE, BRF, BVG, BVF, BVA, BRD?

Drive chain - 038 115 230 - £17.37
Chain tensioner - 06A 115 130 B - £4.75
Oil pump - 06A 115 105 B - £125.36 - AVB, BKE
Oil pump - 06A 115 105 D - £144.83 - AVF, AWK to be used before 06A 115 121

They list the same oil pump for the petrol engine but the chain is different.

There is another chain listed but I can't make out what it attaches too, 03G 115 230 - £21.12 this one says no longer available with a note. Because of the supply situation, stationary vehicles must be converted to spur gear drive - *** as per VW TPI 2016429 *** Thats what Vent5 says.

I'm not familiar with Audi but is the V6 a TDI engine? ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hmmmmm

Driving the same vehicle as usnu (2005 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI engine code BLB) and wondered if anyone has carried out the conversion to the spur gear drive as a precautionary measure as the engine approaches 100k miles.

Not aware of any increase in chain noise from my (engine's) bottom end but this failure sounds pretty catastrophic (and expensivejaw drops) so would be interested to know if anyone has attempted and what sort of part costs are involved.

·
Super Moderator
9,140 Posts
Welcome to the forum walery. welcometomyturbodies

I'm not sure if thats classed as an introduction especially when its added to someone elses thread in General Diesel Discussion. Make a proper intro in New TDI forum member introductions ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts