VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote from the Mk 3 section of the Clutch/flywheel FAQ:

Stronger clutch kits A basic upgrade would be the 228mm clutch and pressure plate kit from a VW vr6. It looks similar to your existing parts but they are not the same. It will bolt directly to your existing flywheel and I would suggest reusing the existing flywheel. The clutch kit can hold about 330 ft-lbs torque. Since you already have a solid flywheel, there should be no significant difference in driveline chatter in neutral. Clutch pedal weight will be slightly less than stock, read the full FAQ article for more details. The 1990-1992 VW Corrado G60 solid flywheel will fit all model years and will also bolt up to the vr6 clutch kit. Note: you can use the vr6 clutch but cannot use the vr6 flywheel because 6 cylinder engines use a different bolt pattern. There are also clutch kits that use longer clutch hub springs that help smooth NVH

The current version of the Sachs TDI clutch kit uses the SAME pressure plate as the VR6 kit with a different disc than the VR6 kit.

TDI/G60 kit - #3000-332-001 (#K70038-01 in NA)
P. P. - #3082-231-031
Disc - #1878-043-141

VR6 kit - #3000-384-001 (#K70038-02 in NA)
P. P. - #3082-231-031
Disc - #1862-393-031

There have been some reports of gear rattle when the VR6 kit is used in A3/B4 TDIs. Thread 1, Thread 2. Note that I am talking about the original A3/B4 solid flywheel here, not the A4 DMF. There is at least one anecdotal report that the VR6 disc is responsible for the rattle, and that using the TDI/G60 disc solves the problem. The fact that the cushion springs and hub are different between the two discs would lend some credence to that theory.

The conventional wisdom has been that the Sachs VR6 kit was the one to use for stock applications. Perhaps earlier versions of the TDI kit may have used a different (weaker) pressure plate than the VR6 kit. Now that both have been verified to use the same VR6 spec pressure plate (according to the Sachs Euro catalog), there may no longer be any reason to use the VR6 kit and at least one reason not to.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
FAQ edited, I checked the part numbers and there's also an "Optional power clutch kit". It has the same part number but with PC instead of K.

Even if the pressure plate and the surface area of the clutch is the same, the coefficient of friction of the disk could be different. I doubt it but it's possible. I'll call Sachs and see what I can dig up, thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
Different springs and hub is the current theory.

Not sure what you mean by "diesel noise", but I'm talking about a transaxle gear rattle in neutral, not a diesel rattle, and the original drivetrain from the factory did not generate any gear rattle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even if the pressure plate and the surface area of the clutch is the same, the coefficient of friction of the disk could be different. I doubt it but it's possible. I'll call Sachs and see what I can dig up, thanks for the suggestion.
I should mention that while the Sachs Euro catalog confirms that the VR6 pressure plate is included in the TDI/G60 kit, I could not confirm that the N.A. versions of the kits, which have completely different part number schemes, are similarly packaged. The Sachs N.A. catalog doesn't break out component P/Ns of their kits and I couldn't find any Sachs lists of individual component applications and their P/Ns. But when looking up individual components for VR6, TDI and G60 applications in a couple of established vendor online catalogs, the same Sachs pressure plate comes up for all 3.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts