VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally after a month waiting I received my USA imported Timing Belt so time to finish the assambling.

But here comes a horror story, installing the cam plastic cover one of the screws from this cover FELL INSIDE THE ENGINE HEAD into what it looks like a oil drain hole in the middle ( the screw is like 25mm long by 4 mm width).

I tried to grab it with a magnet tip etc. but it seems to be beyond reach.

Will it end up in the oil baffle or sticked in the walls? Do I need to remove the head again?
Should I just leave it there, could it damage the crank? I am literaly screw up !! Need advice thanks !!

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
That isn't so good, I'd remove the sump/oil pan and see if it's either in there or maybe you could push it up with a piece of stiff wire from the bottom.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Try a flexible magnet tip.

Yes, remove the oil sump and try to flush it out. Do not run the engine with a screw bouncing around the oil passage! It shouldn't damage the crankshaft bearings because the moving parts are covered and the oil is coming from a filtered source. If it ends up in the sump it won't get sucked up because there is a screen. Worst case it gets caught somewhere and shatters, sending metal bits everywhere so yes you want to find it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed !!

Thanks for your support !!, Daylight and a cleared mind allowed me to see the shinny screw in the oil hole between the engine head and the monoblock. Twisting a magnetized tip I was able to reach it and get it out.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
If it happens again...

I've used one of my wifes panty hose (stocking) over the shop-vacuum and sucked little things out of places they shouldn't have gone. It's good for non-ferrous things that won't stick to a magnet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts