VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a concern that I haven't really been able to nail down.

If I turn (usually left turns) at slower speeds, i.e. parking lots and from a stop, I will get a pop that I can hear and feel in the floor.

Usually happens more often if I have a passenger. This has happened since I got the car about a year ago. I wasn't able to reproduce this for the dealer of course.

My first thoughts were a spring/strut is slipping under certain conditions. At least suspend related. It's not the continuous popping of bad CV joints, but I guess it could be related.

I'm just looking to get a better idea of what to tell the dealer to look at when i take it in for the first 20k in a week or so.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Try looking at the anti-roll bar bushings and connections, also the linkages. Most likely suspension.

A very remote possibility is the subframe bushings. I haven't heard of this problem on the new mk6 but here is a description of the problem. I would have thought they had fixed it by now with a design change. My mk5 and most are fine.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--TDI/Search/Subframe/ES2102460/Video47-SD/

buy them here: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--TDI/Search/Subframe/ES2102460/

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the video, that sounds exactly right.

I'll check those bolts he mentions.

So what would the spacer help? A bad mold/casting or something?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Don't know but if your subframe is tight, don't overtighten it because the bolts are only designed for a certain torque. If you try to overtighten where there is no problem, they could snap.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know but if your subframe is tight, don't overtighten it because the bolts are only designed for a certain torque. If you try to overtighten where there is no problem, they could snap.
Got a dealer appointment tomorrow. Mention that ESC Tunning might have the issue nailed down. Not sure if they will appreciate that, but whatever.

I'll replace the bolts myself if they don't.

I'm kind of afraid that if they just tighten the bolts to spec again, they will just stretch more and potentially fail.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem here, but in a 2011 Golf TDI. I went and had my 90 day courtesy check yesterday and told the service guy about it. They took my car for a drive and said they couldn't replicate the sound. Basically he told me to try and isolate exactly when it does it and come back and he'd ride with me. I told him about the problem in the MKVs, but he said he couldn't really do anything until he heard it.
But I'm saying, the replacement bolts are made by VW! Why not just change them and see if it stops the problem?! Especially seeeing as this was an issue that was recognized by VW on the previous generation, and the MKVI is essentially a MKV with a facelift.

I'm gonna keep pressing the issue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine happens more frequently with a passenger.

They didn't fix the problem. I should make them watch the video, but who likes to be told how to do their job...

I'll just replace them myself. I'm only missing the breaker bar in terms of tools.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Mine happens more frequently with a passenger.

They didn't fix the problem. I should make them watch the video, but who likes to be told how to do their job...

I'll just replace them myself. I'm only missing the breaker bar in terms of tools.
Be polite when talking to the techs but when you're talking to the people at the service desk, they tend to be pretty clueless when it comes to technical issues.

The dealer can't bill it under warranty unless there's a documented problem which they can identify. I'm sure they will be happy to bill you directly if you want them to do something.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I finally got around to replacing the bolts this weekend.

I watched that ECS video one more time and everything was a breeze. Of course I don't have the 4-point lift so it was a little tight fit under the car.

I ended up not needing the breaker bar (pull bar, whatever the proper name is). Was able to slide the spacers in pretty easily.

Everything is tight so no pops, hopefully it will hold up. I love my no-pop turns haha.

I wonder why they used those type of bolts in the first place?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts