VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!! I purchased a 2014 Jetta tdi about 6-8 months ago. I did some servicing to it not truly knowing what was done by the previous owner. I did the timing belt and the car has been running great until the cel came on pointing towards the dpf. I am a newb to the tdi. Owning only gas jettas, gti, etc… I want to delete the dpf and egr. The Jetta is used for traveling at work, grocery getting, picking up the kids from practice. I am not concerned with major horsepower upgrades. A few extra mpg would be nice. I am fine with stock exhaust. I was looking at rawtek and got lost in the different products available. I want something simple and without a lot of drone. I have a dsg so was looking at the Malone tune and didn’t know which tune was good for the setup im looking for. Also I am a little confused on the process to flash the ecu. Last time I did this was through apr and one was neuspeed. You sent out your ecu and they sent it back reprogrammed. I have not modified an exhaust on a daily driver in about 10-15 years, so a lot has changed. If anyone has any suggestions or can help I would greatly appreciate it!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Rick! John here. I've got a 2013 Jetta TDI I picked up from auction in Atlanta back in October-ish of 2018 with just under 40k miles. (I know what you're thinking, Members... procurement just before the initial 40k service interval... yikes) Anyway, since I got it, I've been experiencing a lot of DPF and EGR codes since I bought the car and the dealerships around me have been gracious enough to work with me to bring me back up to speed...

You can laugh, now. (Bad joke, I know)

The car has 65k miles on it, now, and the dealers are still working with me. So, if your mileage is low enough, the dealership may work with you to clear the issue. It's emissions-related, so any parts and/or labor costs are covered by the extended emissions warranty that VW issued out all those years ago. Definitely worth checking out, though be prepared to experience some head trauma from all the back and forth you may incur with your respective service department.

Let us know how it turns out!

-John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John, thank you for the reply. I spoke to the dealer about the issue about a month ago. My 2014 has 130k on it. I asked about the extended warranty there is no warranty on my specific vw because it never was bought back or had the emissions work completed. Sooo I am on my own. Lol not the first time.

I am willing to do the work just don’t want to buy a bunch of parts or a kit when I only needed a few parts out of the lot. I am going to call and speak to a tech l, after I have the parts, about the tune to see what my options are.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I have an 09 JSW that I kept stock until the emissions warranty ran out and/or it started giving me a hassle with emissions codes. Turns out that about 3 months after the extended warranty ran out I got the DPF warning that could not be cleared with repeated attempts to do a burn off/regen including manually triggering. I could either throw several $k towards stock stuff or go with Rawtek/Malone tune so I did. I ended up doing a Stage 2 tune and full Rawtek back with the resonator (no dpf or cat at all). The installation of the new exhaust was pretty easy and straightforward. None of my parts or sensors were corroded or gave me any hassle during removal. The tune was easy too - they send you the Flashzilla which is just a handheld touchscreen device that you can upload or download maps from your laptop and the car. So you connect the Flashzilla to your car and download your stock map, then connect to your computer to upload and email to them. A day later they send you a new file that you download from the laptop to the Flashzilla and then install on the car. Easy peasy. Most nerve racking thing was doing the final flash and is says.... erasing memory... or something like that. But mine went without a hitch. They say that you can get a little better mileage on the stage 2, I presume due to no more regens and less fuel used there, but I have not seen any difference in mine (up or down). I only have a handful of tanks on the new stage 2, and now my husband drives it like its a race car, so you know... I suspect you would be happy with the stage 0.5, I think they call it for improved fuel mileage. Car sounds amazing, can hear the turbos more, and without the cat you can smell the diesel exhaust (which I like). I don't think I would ever straight pipe it - def keep the resonator to avoid any sort of "droning" noise on long road trips, but its not that loud really. Rawtek stuff is pricey but I think worth it. It was very heavy gauge stainless with nice welds, clamps, etc. No cheap stuff there. I am very pleased with my Rawtek/Malone tune. The part that confused me a bit was the ordering of the Rawtek/Malone tune - you can do it all from the Rawtek site. First you pick the hardware kit you want to delete. I think the ECO keeps the stock muffler in place whereas the max performance replaces all of it. Even within those kits, you can still choose to have a cat or not, a resonator or not or both. Then you add the Flashzilla item and choose the tune - stage 0.5 through 3. Based on what you stated above, you would probably be okay with the Eco kit (pick your resonator and/or high flow cat) and the stage 0.5 tune. I don't see any reason to keep the cat unless you have emissions testing in your area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Zenaghia, I've been looking at the Rawtek/Malone tuning and components for the past couple of years since I found out about it. Definitely interested in doing the deletes, but with the government cracking down on vehicles that have had the deletes done, it's possible that I'd be setting myself up to receive a "cease and desist" order to have to keep the vehicle off the roads. Those kits, although they're marketed for "off-road use only" aren't truly used only for off-road use, as we all know.

If you decide to do the deletes, Rick, I recommend you keep all the original emissions parts in case you have to, or want to, sell the vehicle later on. You may not be able to get away with completing the future sale or transfer unless the vehicle comes with its original emissions equipment.

-John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you both again for taking the time to provide me with all the info and suggestions. I am definitely one that likes to plan ahead. I was planning on taking the dpf and cleaning it with a couple of different solutions to get some life back in it. Throwing it up on a shelf just in case that rainy days happens. I am at that crossroads now where I drive a lot for work, don’t want to have to throw money and the big one TIME at this dpf every 130-150k so for now the delete makes sense for me. Until like you said the enforcement funnels my way. I was looking at the rawtek from the get go. Eco as you said might be the best for me. Don’t want the drone. The Malone tune process was the part that was the throwing a curve at me. I don’t have emissions in my area so I agree with you about the cat. I wonder if since these are file transfers if I could keep my original tune and reflags the ecu later on if I had to return to stock emissions equipment. I know I’m getting ahead of myself. Bad habit!!

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I have done a Malone tune in my 06,really happy with the tune, it performs extremely well. I had a tune from someone else and was really disappointed. I have a stage 1, I wanted the egr out and I had a prior tune that sucked so I just wanted it off my car.

I would go with the lowest possible tune option for your vehicle that deletes the dpf and egr. If you go too far up the tune chain, you often need to get the DSG software change which is Uber pricey and you have to go to a dealer or rent the programmer. Sounds like you want a reliable daily runner.

The process is you pay for the tune and either rent or buy a tunezilla. First you connect tunezilla to your car, it makes some measurements, reads your current ecm program, blah, blah. Then you connect tunezilla to your computer, send the data files to Malone. They come back pretty quickly with a tune for your vehicle, which you then download to tunezilla.

The part I don't know as I have not looked into it in some time is when you can remove the dpf from the system. There is a process, and it's documented on the site. I think def needs to be full before you install the tune or something like that, again, Malone has really good docs.

Some folks put an egr blocking plate in but I don't believe it is necessary as the egr is tuned out.

Hope that helps with your question.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the info, I reached out to a local guy that is a recently retired vw tech. I am waiting to hear back from him if he can lend a hand removing the dpf and egr from the Jetta in one piece. I was on the website and see where you rent the tuner for a $1000 deposit (insurance they will get it back) I was looking at the .5 tune. As everyone has mentioned it’s the best for what I’m looking for. I greatly appreciate all the tips and info. It has helped out a lot!

·
Registered
Panzer skid plate, 034 RSB, Polar FIS, Malone stage 2, Unitronic DSG
14 Posts
Thank you for the info, I reached out to a local guy that is a recently retired vw tech. I am waiting to hear back from him if he can lend a hand removing the dpf and egr from the Jetta in one piece. I was on the website and see where you rent the tuner for a $1000 deposit (insurance they will get it back) I was looking at the .5 tune. As everyone has mentioned it’s the best for what I’m looking for. I greatly appreciate all the tips and info. It has helped out a lot!
I am running a buzzken kit and malone stage 2 with a unitronic dsg tcu tune on my 2013 golf tdi and a buzzken kit malone stage 2 and no tcu tune (not dsg) on my 2010 touareg tdi. it is night and day, no regrets.

personally I'd go malone stage 2/dsg tcu tune and call it done, it is less hassle and the best bang for the buck in the long run.

I think the emissions delete and ecu tune just works better in combination with a dsg tcu flash. I think most here would agree.

the rawtek stuff is sweet but if the budget cost is a concern I'd go with the buzzken kit, it gets the same thing done just minus the purdy welds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts