VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Anyone changed the pulley and/or bearing on the a/c compressor?

Jeff
I will have to do it on weekend (I have to replace clutch coil) so I will let you know how it goes.
My plan is to lower the ac compressor without disconnecting it from the ac lines. Looks like no special tools are needed except snap ring pliers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have to do it on weekend (I have to replace clutch coil) so I will let you know how it goes.
My plan is to lower the ac compressor without disconnecting it from the ac lines. Looks like no special tools are needed except snap ring pliers.
Let me know!

What symptoms was your car having that led you to your diagnosis?

Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am in the middle of changing the clutch pulley
I have the retaining clip for the pulley but am struggling pulling the pulley ?
Status now is the compressor is still attached by the coolant lines but unmounted and move fwd and to the right of its installed position.
Approx 3-4" working space in front of Pulley. Any suggestions on how to remove the pulley without a puller or removing the assembly?

Thanks in advance
Rich T

·
Registered
8 Posts
Make sure you only pull on the inner clutch, I was pulling the whole thing off like an idiot when I was rebuliding mine and I broke one of the flanges off and ruined the compressor. So yea dont do that it is an expensive lesson to learn.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Let me know!

What symptoms was your car having that led you to your diagnosis?

Jeff
I had a burning rubber smell after which my ac stopped blowing cold air. AC switch lights up but ac clutch never wanted to engage. Then I disconnected compressor connector and tried to jump it with 12 volts straight to battery and clutch still did not engage. Then I measured resistance on the compressor side of the connector and it was open. Also voltage to ac compressor with ac on key on and engine off was about 4.5V. Ordered new clutch coil for 25.77$+11$ shipping, I also ordered new FCM

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Make sure you only pull on the inner clutch, I was pulling the whole thing off like an idiot when I was rebuliding mine and I broke one of the flanges off and ruined the compressor. So yea dont do that it is an expensive lesson to learn.
How did you pull? What tool?

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Almir,

Where did you order the parts?

Jeff

http://www.thechillman.com/servlet/the-468/Jetta-City-AC-Compressor/Detail

search this site for kit if you need, I only needed clutch coil since mine was open and it should be in 3-4 ohm range. I remember kit was about $67 or ask him his name is Adam he will let you know which one fits. Great service and fast shipping! You will have to create pay-pal account if you don't have one.

also if you need fan motors I have found the place where you can get complete assembly (two fans and fan shroud) for 119 :D

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
I'm an electrical novice. Can you walk me through how I should test mine with a multimeter?

Jeff

when you disconnect the ac compressor's connector with green and brown wires, (pull the locking tab out with flat head screwdriver then you will be able to separate connector). After that set your multimeter to lowest settings for ohm reading, put black and red leads of your multimeter across the male terminals of the ac compressor's side of the connector. You should see 3-4 ohms. anything else is bad.

I am currently in the process of doing this (replacing clutch coil, fcm and both fans) and I am taking pictures as I progress so as soon as I finish all this I will post them here for future references.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hope this helps someone

Status update
1- removed R/H front tire assy
2- removed wheel well cover
3- removed ~2 lbs of dirt stuck between the cover and the rear area of wheel well
4- removed R/H side cover (belly pan already off)
5- disconnect the turbo intake to gain better access to pulley
6- remove serpentine belt.
7- While holding the belt tensioner pulley back I loosened the top Compressor mount bolt using 3/8 air ratchet.
8- removed bottom Compressor mount bolt using 3/8 air ratchet.(stays with compressor until you complete step 9)
9- With a long pry bar dis-engaged compressor from mount point.
10- using 3/8 air ratchet undo pulley nut and removed front clutch plate.
****Caution, be aware of the spacer that the clutch plate sits against this sets up the running gap between the clutch plate and the pulley**** (looks like a washer and sits on the shaft behind clutch plate)
11- removed the retaining-clip ring for the Pulley.(see POC #4)

*Next step I Tried a few different things but to save you time just used the following process or your on version*

13- Using a very small metal hammer with a 1" square 12" long teflon drift. Tap the backside of the pulley towards the left hand side of the car, then rotated the pulley ~ 180deg then repeat, continued the process until you are able to remove the pulley by hand.
14- Fight with the Clutch coil retaining retaining clip (remove), then remove clutch coil.
15- If needed transfer the electrical connector to new coil. and pre-pair for re-assembly.
16- Get a heavy reworking flat stone and remove any raised material on the clutch plate and the pulley where they come in contact with each other. (re-dress)

Points of Caution (POC)
1- minimize force on AC hoses
2- Don't forget the clutch plate spacer
3- remove retaining clip holding pulley before trying to remove
4- remove retaining clip holding clutch coil before trying to remove,
(used a pair of retaining clip pliers similar to snap-on Stock#: SRPC4700) 45deg
the angle on the pliers is a pain but allow you to access the clip holes from under the car.
5- try to avoid any metal to metal contact when removing pulley as the material is soft.(ref step 13)

I am hoping to put this all back together tonight.

Thanks for all your help.
PS great pricing on the clutch coil I paid $170.00. (not OEM)

Rich T

1 - 20 of 23 Posts