VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
A Diesel hello to everyone on the forum. :nana2: this is my first TDI, but not the first vehicle under my belt.

I'm going to lurk, while bugging you for information. I'd like to know ways of upgrading from OMS without sacrificing dependability. Its been a good kilo-mile, i'd like more.

So, clutch is a definite maybe. OMS replacement, dual-mass. I'd also like a good solution to the intake and vacuum system.

I have a few friends with a garage, another friend worked on VWs for a long time. Id like to get some practical advice, and make sure I get the right parts and tools.

Please feel free to direct me to threads and send me PMs. I also communicate through IMs and email.

best regards.SM

furthermore, if you are familiar with the parts, i'd like a few recommendations of OEM vs. APR/ECS/etc, i know there could be deals out there all the time.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
What car do you have and what are you talking about? I'm a bit lost with your OMS etc:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Have you had a look through the faq? There's various stuff in there regarding maintainence as well as upgrades etc. But nobody can really advise you if they don't know what car and engine etc you have, it might be a good idea to fill in your car and location so people will be able to tell you what fits and where's a good place near you to source parts etc.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried, thread title tells the beginnig of my VIN - Brazillian (i think) assembled BEW with a 5 speed manuals trans 2006 Mk4 Golf TDI. 1.9l PD Engine.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
If you go to the user control panel then click on edit your details at the top left you can then stick your car and location in the boxes.:)

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
A Diesel hello to everyone on the forum. :nana2: this is my first TDI, but not the first vehicle under my belt.

I'm going to lurk, while bugging you for information. I'd like to know ways of upgrading from OMS without sacrificing dependability. Its been a good kilo-mile, i'd like more.

So, clutch is a definite maybe. OMS replacement, dual-mass. I'd also like a good solution to the intake and vacuum system.

I have a few friends with a garage, another friend worked on VWs for a long time. Id like to get some practical advice, and make sure I get the right parts and tools.

Please feel free to direct me to threads and send me PMs. I also communicate through IMs and email.

best regards.SM

furthermore, if you are familiar with the parts, i'd like a few recommendations of OEM vs. APR/ECS/etc, i know there could be deals out there all the time.
you're putting the dual mass back on? if your planning on driving it for a while i'd think about going with an single mass... more reliable

What's wrong with your intake? wanting to mod? the stock intake isn't really that bad on these new tdi's. the engineers know how much air the engine needs.
unless your gonna do some mods :D
but i'd start with a chip depending on the application

I think we would like some more information on what you're trying to do :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
other than just waste your time with converstaion, I think what I'm trying to do is keep the car in top shape :)

My intake pops off, and I'm struggling with getting it to stay on. I will probably by a new pipe, because the old lost lost its tab (intake hose pops off on these cars, you may be familiar with intake collar mod?) and also, the dealer's mechanics might have done something when they were playing around with something under there.

The seals are probably allright, but it unnervs me when I see them distended, and i have the urge to push them back in, or just replace the whole system with aftermarket hoses (not very fond of that last idea, precisely as you said - engineers had most of the clue)

Also, the intercooler is full of oil, I was wondering what your opinions were on it.

I'm not sure about single mass, i heard it makes the car undrivable, as DMF helps out with torque transfer during launch, and minimises engine vibration. in any case, other than the chatter, and the occasional poor shift, i'd like to keep it for now, and eventually as stock as possible. i mean, these clutches are supposed to be reliable, after all.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
The oil in the intercooler depends how much oil there is, a little bit is normal but if it's a lot I'd be concerned about the turbo.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After so many miles, I think its coming out the seams. In any case, I'm sure boost leak isn't helping. I'm looking at ways of cleaning it, or just replacing the intercooler?

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
other than just waste your time with converstaion, I think what I'm trying to do is keep the car in top shape :)

My intake pops off, and I'm struggling with getting it to stay on. I will probably by a new pipe, because the old lost lost its tab (intake hose pops off on these cars, you may be familiar with intake collar mod?) and also, the dealer's mechanics might have done something when they were playing around with something under there.

The seals are probably allright, but it unnervs me when I see them distended, and i have the urge to push them back in, or just replace the whole system with aftermarket hoses (not very fond of that last idea, precisely as you said - engineers had most of the clue)

Also, the intercooler is full of oil, I was wondering what your opinions were on it.

I'm not sure about single mass, i heard it makes the car undrivable, as DMF helps out with torque transfer during launch, and minimises engine vibration. in any case, other than the chatter, and the occasional poor shift, i'd like to keep it for now, and eventually as stock as possible. i mean, these clutches are supposed to be reliable, after all.

waste my time?
if i'm on here, i'm here to learn about tdi's because i am after all, an enthusiast :thumbsup
and if i think you're wasting my time, i'll quit reading and move on :D

and thoughts on the dmf- they are supposed to be reliable clutches. heck, the one on my car lasted 175k! and by the time it goes out, it'd prob be an alright time to change the clutch and pressure plate and all that stuff in there under the bell housing. so I guess you can't go wrong either way.
As for being un-drivable, i'll have to politely disagree. :) mine releases quite different now, but still completely drivable. :D

·
Registered
74 Posts

Try kermatdi's doggie collar. The SMF are fine, I've sat in one and it rattles at idle but it's otherwise unnoticeable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
stroud2010, thanks for responding.

i can see why you'd say SMF are more reliable(duh, no springs) but i think part of the appeal i have for this vehicle is how smooth it is. many passengers have asked me if its actually automatic. Someone also had said on the forums somewhere that the DMF reduces vibration to many components, not only improving the feel of the operation, but prolonging component life. this could be a wild hoax.

how different is it, really?

Lhonk, I tried a few things, but it still a weak seal that leaks oil. The compound nature of the duct work inherits its flaws. Its not just the intake. There is a visible oil slick under the car now that its raining.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I replaced my bad DMF with another DMF. I wouldn't again because while yes, the idle is smoother and quieter but the clutch engagement is better with a SMF, especially from a stop. A SMF is also cheaper. You can still hear the diesel rattle at idle either way but yes it will be louder with the SMF.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
it's different
now, the springs are in the clutch disc instead of the flywheel on my car, so engine vibrations aren't dampened as well. the flywheel that I put on is heavier than the dmf that was on it before, so I believe that this will help other components not get the shock of the tdi :eek:

if you really like the car because of how smooth it launches, go with the dmf. it can't be matched in that aspect. but make sure you replace it when it gets noisy... I would hate to hear of someone having to replace a whole gearbox because their dmf expoded.
I don't mean to scare you, just here to mention it :)

but yes the dmf was definitely smoother than the smf is currently.
if it wasn't, they wouldn't put them on the cars :D
they really are an engineering feat I would say.

oops
didn't see chitty's post before I posted... i don't think i'm contradicting him too much
he does have way more experience than I do though
I would like to see you put an smf on your car, but in the end, it IS your car :)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
"but the clutch engagement is better with a SMF"

Do you mean the gears are nicer to select chitty?:)
No, I mean that when you release the clutch pedal, engagement is smoother and more consistent. For example, with a SMF you can slowly release the clutch pedal from a stop without touching the accelerator pedal and the car will move and supply enough fuel without stalling or rough running. The car is drive by wire so it knows how much fuel to add.

It should work the same with a DMF but it doesn't, meaning there's some clutch chatter and engine bucking unless I let it really slip. To get smooth engagement I have to add some accelerator pedal like a gas car.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I agree chitty
it seems as though the smf has more stored energy or you could look at it as more inertia

with the dmf, I had to keep my foot on the pedal longer to keep from stalling
with the smf, It seems like i take off faster without needing to touch the accelerator pedal.

but, when I wanna take off faster,(like if I look up and see that the light is green) I get a few rpms then ease into the clutch it doesn't seem as smooth as the dmf

I guess vw decided that most ppl drive this way

it depends on your driving style, and what you want your car to be like I guess
I like my smf :D

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
No, I mean that when you release the clutch pedal, engagement is smoother and more consistent. For example, with a SMF you can slowly release the clutch pedal from a stop without touching the accelerator pedal and the car will move and supply enough fuel without stalling or rough running. The car is drive by wire so it knows how much fuel to add.

It should work the same with a DMF but it doesn't, meaning there's some clutch chatter and engine bucking unless I let it really slip. To get smooth engagement I have to add some accelerator pedal like a gas car.
Bummer, I don't have that issue with my car, it just takes off smooth as you like without throttle. When I first got it the throttle wasn't working most of the time due to a wet ecu but I could still drive along at 30mph lol and the turbo would kick in when going uphill, I wonder if it's something to do with extra emission control on your side of the pond.:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts