VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Jetta tdi. It chewed a timing belt up so a timing belt, waterpump and tensioner were replaced. About 500 miles later the car stoped runing, it had jumped 8 teeth of time and wiped 3 lifters out. Does any one think the lifters might have been messed up from the timing belt and just got overlooked at the time they replaced the belt, and finaly just worn down enough to cause a problem ? so they put the car back in time and even with 3 wiped out lifters it runs just runs rough. Is there anyway to tell if the injection pump is ok, its about the only other thing that has not been replaced that the timing belt runs. My thought is that when the lifters went the cam must have stopped a second and that is what made it jump time, just trying to make sure a injection pump wouldnt have locked up and caused it ? Any help is greatly appreciated Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
First, could you be more specific: is it a 1999 (A3) or a 1999.5 (A4) vehicle??

Did they remove the cylinder head when the timing belt was "chewed" ?? Most likely the lifters (and possibly the valves) were damaged during the first mishap, and 500 miles later even more damage occurred... The head MUST come off, the exhaust valves (at least) replaced, and a new set of lifters put in... a camshaft wouldn't hurt, either... That's if the pistons (and rods) haven't been damaged as well...

Who's doing the work??

Yuri

PS: after this 2nd "mishap" I wouldn't trust the belt and tensioner...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 99.5 a4 . I do not beleave they removed the head when they did the belt atleast the shop did not tell me they did. Im not going to make mention of the shops name cause im not so sure it was there fault and i beleave they do good work. I bought this car like this from a guy i work with he did not want to pay the money to fix it . Im going to do the work this go around . I went to school for auto then went to diesel school,but mostly ever only worked on farm equip.Just trying to feel my way around i figure these little things gota be somewhat like a tractor lol.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Similar thing happened to me ! My cam followers on the exhaust valves were worn so thin the valves pushed them up into a dome shape which caused enough drag on the cam to strip a load of teeth off a almost brand new cam belt. Mine luckily only jumped 3 teeth with no bent valves. I think you've had a similar problem to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just did all the same work you are going to have to go through. I replaced all the valves and after getting it all together I had an intake valve break at the keepers after running at idle for 10 minutes. Lesson learned, DON'T use A/E valves. I got them at a local Federal Mogul parts shop. Make sure you get good parts. Recommend Frank06 in MO. He can rework the head for you even. I was so lucky that the valve didn't fall into the cylinder. After getting in touch with Frank I was given all the measurements for the valves and was able to check everything over. My old valves and guides were in good shape so I was able to reuse them. I've got the car back on the road on Friday and drove about 50 miles with no issues. Please do yourself a favor and make sure you get good parts. Pleanty of good parts places listed on here and TDICLub.

Feel free to PM me if you have a question or two. I've got the bently manual on disk.

STEVE

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think im going to go with reman head just to be on the safe side. I got the car cheap so what the heck . Im just keeping my fingers croosed that the valves didn't hit the pistons on the two cylinders that wiped out the lifters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts