VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Im new to the forum, I have a 98 jetta TDI that has very little power, it belches black smoke and cant rev 1800 RPMs. It seems as tho the car is in perpetual limp mode.The turbo was replaced last year and did not fix this problem. I have replaced all of the vacuum hoses,(including the one in the ECU), checked the waste-gate which functions normally, checked the intake manifold/ fuel and air filters for clogs/ checked the inter-cooler pipes for cracks, and replaced the mass airflow censor. I am at loss at what to do. Any or all help is apprenticed, thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
How is the timing belt timing? Any error codes? In addition to checking to the intercooler, have you checked the entire intake tract with a pressure test? Take a look at the low power FAQ article and if you're stuck anywhere or need more help, please post a follow up so we can help you fix this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chittychittybangbang, The timing should be perfect, the timing belt was replaced 100k and the car has 120k. I have checked all of the hard plastic pipes for leaks and the rubber connectors as well, as for error codes, the check engine light is on but with the state the cars in i cant even make it to aoutzone to have it checked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i wish, turns out the problem is a clogged egr cooler, its soo chalked full of carbon that there is only one small pipet open that runs from one side to the other

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
yea i wish, turns out the problem is a clogged egr cooler, its soo chalked full of carbon that there is only one small pipet open that runs from one side to the other
I'd thought you'd checked that all out, well looks like it wasn't getting enough air, if it runs ok now.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts