VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to adjust the valves on a 1.9 tdi? i think when the oil line origionally broke the timing was slightly altered, i checked out the timing belt and it looks about time to replace and the rcords on the car show it was done about 40,000 mi. ago. if so is this an easy task? i know these cars run great when they work properly and as it runs now it sounds like the valve timing is off. thanks, justin

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Not sure, I believe no because they use hydraulic followers and those self adjust. You can adjust the injection pump timing though. Look through the timing belt writeup.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think he means through the timing belt. If you put the engine at TDC the camshaft mark should be perfectly horizontal and the flywheel mark should line up at the transmission. There are pics in the FAQ. It's possible the valve timing is off. Replacement isn't too hard but just make sure you read the instructions!

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where exactley can i find these instructions? in the mk3 faq's? under what section? origionally when my oil line blew i think it most likely stretched the already over due for replacement timing belt. it deffinatly sounds like valves. i know you can buy a kit that comes with the new belt and the pins for locking the motor in place, to my knowledge it may even come with a water pump. thanks again, justin

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes, http://myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a3b4/TDI_timingbelt_remove_mk3.htm here's the timing belt writeup. Part 2 shows how to adjust the injection pump timing. This is normally done at the end of a timing belt job.

It could be worn valves but I haven't heard of this being a common problem on these engines. To see if the injection pump timing is off, plug in a VCDS cable and there's a graph that shows where the timing is - advanced or retarded. The VCDS is required to check or adjust the timing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts