VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i got the high pressure oil line to the turbo installed put back together. the car has been sitting for about 3 and a half weeks now. went to start it and found crank but no start. started trouble shooting and i believe there is no fiel getting to the motor. i pulled out the fuel shutoff solenoid and there was no fiel what so ever present. bone dry. what type of fueling system does this motor use?i think there is a pump of some sort in the fuel tank, but how does ito operate after it gets to the motor? is it electric or mechanical? does the fuel pump push fuel to the motor then the injector pump injects to each cylinder? how can i troubleshoot to narrow this down?

another question is does this vehicle have a low oil shut down? the oil light also comes on during the time the glow plug light is on warming them up. but it is not solid it flashes. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks, justin.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You got it, the fuel pump pushes and pulls. There's no pump in the fuel tank. Did you change the fuel filter? If so it's got too much air in there. Put a vacuum on the feed and return line to suck diesel through the system. Is the battery charged? If you removed the metal injector lines they probably have lots of air in them too. You could crack #3 injector fuel line at the fuel injector and wrap a rag around it while cranking the engine to see if it's getting fuel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If there was a major air leak in the fuel line it could have lost prime as mentioned before. I've never pulled the fuel shutoff solenoid but if you crank it with the fuel injector line loosened with a rag that'll show for sure if it's getting fuel.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i put a vacuum to the line from the tank and installed and primed a new filter, for shits a gigs. it took less than a minute and ended up bring able to prime the fuel and injection pumps off that. i believe 1997 tdi was the first year to use throttle by wire? if this an electronic or mechanical fuel and injection pump? glad i replaced the oil pressure and also the return line to and from the turbo. now that i look at the return line its quite corroded and looks like it would give at any time. thanks, justin.

·
Registered
107 Posts
They had drive by wire as early as 96 with the first Passat TDI. Because it's drive by wire it's an electronic and mechanical pump. The oil light's always on during start but mine goes out. Have you checked your grounds? There's a bunch by the pump and under the battery. It's possible one of the wires is chafing. Maybe at the big plug to the pump?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts