VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so we had a major malfunction last wednesday night. comming home from school, like 930 on I95 in mass, doing about 70mph, all of the sudden the tach drops to under a grand, my speed starts dropping and the motor sounds like it has no oil. i throw it in neutral and kill it then pull off the road. right before i killed it the oil light came on. i look on the road and theres all my oil. anyways, come to find out the next morning there is a 1/4" steel line that runs from the top of the oil filter, around the motor, to the top of the turbo in the back on the motor shit the bed! the end at the turbo with a nipple end and a nut that tightens down on the top of the turbo just gave out and cracked. the line looks somewhat corroded aswell and here the problem: i cannot find this line anywhere. i called every foreign auto parts store in the area and they either come up with only one line, which is not even close, or nothing on a parts explosion at all. any idea if there is a kit i can buy to maybe replace most of these hard lines, or where i could get one period? im thinking i might need to call a VW dealer and buy genuineparts?
thanks, again justin.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
That is the turbo oil feed line and is under high pressure. Only genuine VW part for that unless you know someone who can bend custom hydraulic lines and has the correct fitting, in which case it would probably be more expensive that just buying the VW part. More common is the turbo oil return line breaking. It would be pretty unusual for the feed line to break but I guess it happens! I wouldn't worry about the other hard lines except for the return line (the only other line coming out of the center of the turbo).

Before you start the engine, remove the nut and wire on top of the fuel injection pump solenoid to prevent it from starting and crank the engine to prime the oil through the new lines. I would also do a compression test - hopefully there was no other damage.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i know its high pressure, i wish this car had a pressure gauge, but the light came right on. i killed it as soon as i could to prevent it form seizing. i think it would be a good thing to replace the feed and return line so il end up doing that, thanks for the tip. i can get a compression tester form my school for a diesel because of the high compression, and i will certainly prime the lines before i start it. thanks for the advice, justin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts