VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was wondering why the 2 running lights on the front bumper never turned on. i popped them out to see they were fake! just a plastic lense and a plastic backing all together about half an inch thick. but the thing is there are wires going to both sides of them that just plug into a dummy recieving socket on the fake lights. it makes me wonder if this was an unadded option to the car and the origional buyer didnt request running lights and they just put fake ones in? could i check if theres juicy to these wires and just pop new REAL lights in? are these lights supposed to come on automatically or when you turn the switch in the cabin on to turn in your side markers and rear lights?
thanks, justin

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yep. Not optional. I bought the foglights off ebay because the whole set shipped was cheaper than 1 genuine piece and I only wanted to replace the cracked lens. The unit fit well but the edges of the plastic weren't as finished perfectly. The plastic was also a little brittle compared to "OEM" plastic. The actual bulb socket is different but a little grinding with a dremel and it was fine. I forget which bulb fitment is correct but the tab is a little off.

You should have the wiring already in place.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, when you said REAL I assumed you mean working, not genuine VW parts.
real as in not fake like decorative lenses with no bulbs. i havent looked into testing to check for power going to the wires that run out to the fake running lights. that euroswitch turns the lights on wen you switch the high beams on? or just when the normal driving lights are on? im sure i could figure some wiring out to have them on as i needed. i dnt see the sense in having them on during the day. the headlights suck ass primarily because i cannot adjust the drivers side up and down.
thanks alot, justin

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you are already buying replacement lenses, just get a Euroswitch to connect them. It takes an extra minute to have real foglights. They won't come on if you don't have a Euroswitch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts