VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 VW Passat Station Wagon. 1.9 TDI Manuel transmission engine 1Z
Fault; Parasitic draw of 0.5 Milli ohms from the large wire that goes through the firewall and directly to the fuse box. Verified it was not the wire by bypassing it. Using a known good wire.
For troubleshooting I used a fluke 87, a test light and an Evertouch relay and circuit tester from Orielys. We used the multimeter between the ground wire and the battery to verify the draw. I tried testing the fuses while they were still in the fuse box. The multi meter did not show and volt draw. The circuit tester showed relays 4, 3, and 12 had a short. The lights that where on are as follow
Relay 4 light 30 had red light on 86 had green and red on and had green
Relay 3 light 30 was red 86 is green 85 green and red where both on
Relay 12 light 30 had green and red on 86 had green 85 had green
No blown fusses, the battery goes dead after a day or more of no use.
Alternator charges at 13.9 V the battery is new as of the first day of troubleshooting….yesterday.
We have pulled all the fuses and relays individually and all at once. With no change.
We unplugged all the plugs under the hood we could see. The alarm system box both plugs disconnected. The head light switch was also disconnected. All lights inside of the vehicle where verified off by a very helpful spouse. The radio has been completely removed. The cigarette lighter is disconnected. I have looked on numerous threads and watched youtube videos that all seamed to use variations of the same trouble shooting techniques. I am at a loss. Does anyone have any ideas?
The engine was pulled to have all the seals replaced.

·
Super Moderator
9,231 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a pole which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

You need to find which circuit has excessive current draw.

Remove each fuse with the ammeter in and note the current draw on each fuse.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts