VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the site, I have the chirping discussed in the forums on my car that drives you crazy the car is new to me so who knows how long it had been going on. So I took out the serpentine belt tensioner rod and it has a couple of very thin steel sleeves/bushings that were attached to the rubber dust boots that have worn totally through and worn partially through the rod itself. my question is what can I do to remedy the situation, VW has the bracket, rod and dust caps but does not have those sleeves or any idea where to locate them. I got the rod and was wondering if anyone has had this problem and was able to find those bushings or if somebody stuck them in to take up the space of the rod that had already worn a ways. so please let me know, are those sleeves or bushings supposed to be there or not and if they are where do I find them.

I considered drilling out the bracket and pressing in a bronze sleeve,I just hate to do that if there is an actual vw part I can replace. thanks for the advice in advance.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lo and behold I was able to decipher a number between the two worn sleeves and it was a "good part number" according to the dealers but it is listed for a eurovan, there is nothing listed under a passat tdi which is the way I was going about it before with no part #. no picture to go by either so they said they could special order two of them for me and hopefully it will be the right part. the part number is 028 903 313 in case anybody needs this. I think I need to get the car put back together as is because it is hurting the wallet to drive a 20 mpg suburban diesel vs the 50mpg passat.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
problem solved!

I solved the problem, the parts were correct from vw, so it's back together and running great but nowthat the rod is greased and everything is working as it should the tensioner is rattling like crazy. I guess the lack of friction from the worn sleeves and rod makes everything move easier so the tensioner is having to do more and it's worn out so it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nice find, I will have to check if my bushings are gone too. The tensioner still shakes a lot even though it has a new spring thingy.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you certainly may use the pictures and whatever else from the thread, I just hope it helps somebody out!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts