VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was running biodiesel with no problems. Started blending WVO with diesel, didn't like the way it was running, parked the car for a few months and it wouldn't start. Flushed (pumped) out the fuel tank and put in straight diesel and replaced both fuel filters. Car started after a few tries, ran a little rough. Started her up a few more times over the next week with the same feeling a little hard to start. Then got busy and left her for a few weeks, when I try now there's nothing. It just turns over but will not fire. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope I didn't toast my injection pump.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Probably not but it's possible there is a clog somewhere in there. It's also possible that your battery is low. Try running straight diesel purge from the fuel filter feed and return lines. In other words, stick the fuel lines into the can of diesel purge. It'll clean out any buildup.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Maybe an electrical fault or bad starter? I think there was a recall on ignition switches that cesulted in hard starting. Try jiggling the key in the ignition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK here is the latest.
I have confirmed with a multimeter that all glow plugs are OK, and I am getting 12v to the plugs as well. I have made a mini fuel tank from a pop bottle (like a diesel purge style) and hooked it up after the filters and yet it still wouldn't start.
Now here's something odd. When I last tried to start it I found a puddle of coolant under the car after.
Regarding the pop bottle fuel tank. Is it necessary to have this up higher than the engine, gravity forcing the fuel down into the IP? I am certain that my IP lost it's prime as I could see air bubbles in the fuel line between my filters and the IP.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
No, if you disconnect the fuel pump you'll see air bubbles in there until they are completely run out. The pump is self priming but it takes a while for the air to be purged. Holding the bottle higher makes sense but make sure the hoses going to the fuel pump are completely submerged.

Not sure where the coolant could have come from. I believe it to be unrelated. If you had a bad head gasket it should discolor the coolant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts