VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Sunday I was making a quick run to the hardware store in my 2010 Golf TDI. I have about 16,000 miles on it. I went about a mile and came to a stop sign. Pulled away and as I got about halfway through first gear the engine just bogged down and stopped accelerating for a second and then continued to run somewhat normally, although I did not push it. The Malfunction Indicator Light was lit up steadily, not flashing, and the coil light was flashing, which I think the manual says malfunction in the diesel engine, not a glow plug thing as it indicates when on steadily (without flashing). I called roadside assistance because in the past, when my MIL went on, the told me not to drive it. They told me to park it and call back in the morning because it was Sunday and they couldn't have it towed anywhere. So I called Monday Morning and set up a tow through the roadside assistance and called the dealer to let them know it was on the way. They told me that if the MIL wasn't flashing that I could drive it in. OK, call roadside for the third time and cancel that. Took the motorcycle to work because I was already a couple hours late and dropped the car off on Monday night when my wife could go with me and bring me home. In past experiences, VW would give me a rental when this sort of thing happened. Now they wanted to charge me $30/day. I refuse and end up late for work every day for the rest of the week, as I have to drop off my wife at work every day and pick her up. They order a new O2 sensor. There are none available in Chicago, so they have to order from LA. The part doesn't arrive until Friday afternoon and I am told it is a 4 hour teardown or something so...talk to you next Monday! They call Monday..the sensor is not working with this motor so they have to order a different one. They finally offer me a free rental...a week later. (And the irony of it is I am off work this week). A brand new white Jetta...PUKE. Anyway does anybody have any experience with this problem? It makes me nervous that an O2 sensor would take that much work to figure out. Frustrating.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
There was a TSB on the o2 sensor to reflash the computer for some problem. However, I don't think it involves replacing the sensor. In addition, these sorts of things are normally done during regular service so I don't think it's your problem.

Depending on which o2 sensor it is, it could be a pain. Take a look at this FAQ Article for a little bit about the DPF system, it's all tucked in behind the engine between the firewall. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DPF-Adblue-FAQ-VW-Audi.htm

I wouldn't say dealer incompetence yet but if it's customary that if you bought the car from them they should give you a free loaner. If not they usually don't give a loaner.

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Its a bit confusing to me

I was making a quick run to the hardware store in my 2010 Golf TDI.

and the coil light was flashing
yet you spec says Car: 2006 VW GTI MkV 2.0T so do you have two cars, if so add them both?

Which coil light are you refering too?

I would say Chitty is correct with the loan car statement.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fixed my profile...I created this account before I took delivery of the TDI. I was driving a GTI but forgot to change my profile when I got the TDI. I think I mentioned it was a TDI in the post though.

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Yes you mensioned it was a 2010 Golf TDI, thats ok I was just curious.

So what are refering to as the coil light and you say its not the glow plug light?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well they finally called me to tell me it was done. Don't quote me on this but I think she said it was the "Exhaust Temperature Control Module Bank 1"? They also did an ECU recall and a body control module recall. Never heard of that one.

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
and the coil light was flashing, which I think the manual says malfunction in the diesel engine, not a glow plug thing as it indicates when on steadily (without flashing).
Yes the glow plug light...it is coil shaped.
Yes the glow plug light is coil shaped but I thought you said the light was flashing but not the glow plug thing? The malfunction light is the MIL/CEL light.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think what he meant was that the glow plug light was flashing and the MIL/CEL was steady and normally when the glow plug light flashes it indicates a problem other than normal glow plug operation (normal glow plug operation as we know is denoted by a steady light). He did say it in kind of a confusing way but I think this is what he meant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts