VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen many discussions about hard to shift into 5th. My problem has been occasionally cant get it out of 5th. Usually happened after decelerating and touching the brakes, seemed to load it up in a way that bound it up and couldn't get it out of gear. Pressing in and dropping the clutch or giving it throttle would cause it to free up. Other times shutting engine off and restarting it worked.

Today I was going highway speed an hour into a trip and shifted into 5th. Immediately it came out of gear, , shifter stayed in 5th posiotion, and rpm's revved. Tried numrrous times to shift in with the shifter moving freely into 5th position, but no gears engaging. Finished trip in 4th gear. There was no bang, no grinding of metal, nothing except no 5th gear. At a stop light, I put it into 5th to see what happens. It went into 5th position, no gears engaged, but couldnt get it back out again. Opened the hood and couldnt move the shift lever on top of the tranny. Got inside and restarted the engine and i was able to move the shifter again.

I'm out of town, have shop space to work in, but limited time. I looked at the driver's side of the shifter assembly under the boot and it looks solid.

I was hoping someone else has seen this before and could say "Ah hah! Yes, check this!" Otherwise i'll spend time checking linkage adjustment. Did that before a few monghs ago and it was fine so not suspecting this. Also intend to open up the tranny side cover to inspect. I've read where the internal 5th gear shift arm can break.

Also. I changed the trans fluid a few months ago. It was a little low.

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Only thought I had was the great getter bushing. It will need with first and fifth.

Unfortunately I think it's the assembly that goes into the trans, or the trans itself. The great getter bushing doesn't seem to cause it getting stuck in gear, just hard to get out.

Check the weight and see if it's slipping or had moved

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read where someone else had a problem with the rod(?) that actually pushes and pulls the gear into place had the slotted end break off. Does that make sense?

Theirs was able to be fixed through the side cover.

This afternoon I was able to look at the top of the trans and the assembly up there. All the ends are tight. The shifter still easily moves into 5th position over and over and then will suddenly bind up. Almost impossible to get out to nuetral.

When it's in 5th position and I let the clutch out, I hear something spin up in there.. 5th synchro maybe? Would I hear a clutch thrust bearing?

What weight are you talking about?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help!

I got the access cover off tonight and after removing the shift fork, I wiggled the gear off with my hand. Splines on the gear are definitely ground off. The shaft doesn't look great either. I'd like to try a used gear on that shaft. It might get me by long enough to buy a used trans.

Anybody have a stock 5th gear to sell?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts