VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter did not take care of her audi, water pump froze, timing belt blew, way past replacement miles, valves bent...so I bought her a cheap Honda Civic (for which she is very greatful) and I am rebuilding the head on the audi that is now mine. Meanwhile, my wife's 2005 Jetta 1.9 TDI (BRM) with 90,000 miles is getting close to needing its timimg belt, water pump etc. replaced, so I am looking into doing that also. Its a little different than the 1.8 turbo gas audi with the in-line engine, but i still think its doable in an afternoon if I get all parts and tools ready. I have the Bentley manual for the Audi, but the posts on this site look so good I dont think I will buy the manual for the Jetta. Also, of course i am not rebuilding the head on the Jetta!

Thanks in advance for all the great posts and instructions on this site. They are very helpful and help me avoid the Audi/VW stealership (or dealership) in town. BTW, they wanted $7,500 to fix the audi, more than it was worth, and charge $150/hour for labor I think. They graciously offered me $400 for the car (which has new paint thanks to a deer...may he rest in peace... that likes to cross interstates, looks great, and has $600 of brand new tires on it). I told them no thanks to ther kind offer.

john

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Well they are in business to make money....

Welcome! Take a look in the FAQ sction, there's a writeup specificaly on changing the timing belt. I rent the special tools if you want to use them, you can do it in an afternoon, it sounds like you know how to work on cars too. The only tricky part is supporting the engine because you have to remove the motor mount to remove the tensioner and whatnot.

You may want to check the camshaft for wear before changing the TB because that's a very common problem on these engines, here is a good place to start. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/camshaft-inspection-replace-vw-tdi.htm

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's never too late to start learning :) Look at it this way, the TDI is only 8V vs. the Audi's 20V so the pain is less.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts