VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is 505 oil or it's equal available (within USA) in gallon or 5 qt containers this would be for a 03 jetta tdi. Will castrol oil EDGE work? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Your car requires a 5W-40 oil... I believe Edge is 5W-30...

For your 2003, just go to your local WalMart (in the U.S.) and pick up some Shell Rotella T6... fine oil for the 2003-and-older North American TDIs... (Mobil-1 "Turbo Diesel Truck" is considered even better, but many have run the Rotella - Blue/Black bottles - for extended oil change intervals... I've run it up to 18,000 miles between changes, but we drive a lot... mostly highway...)

Yuri

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
It depend whats available in the States, there should be quite a few whether these are available in your area remains to be seen. Audi say PRODUCTS GENERALLY AVAILABLE IN NORTH AMERICA

Technical Service Bulletin

Castrol say

CASTROL EDGE CAR ENGINE OIL FAQ'S

VW cars fitted with PD diesel engines on fixed servicing (VW 505 01) must use the EDGE Turbo Diesel 5W-40 except models fitted with Diesel Particulate Filters which must use an oil meeting VW 507 00 – EDGE 5W-30
Mine uses 507.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I use Rotella 5w-40 full synthetic which meets vw specs. 505.00. As long as it has CH-4 or CG-4 rating is good. Amsoil meets these specs. but I stick with Rotella as Yuri stated. Cant beat the price and availablity.

·
Registered
20 Posts
For your 2003, just go to your local WalMart (in the U.S.) and pick up some Shell Rotella T6... fine oil for the 2003-and-older North American TDIs... (Mobil-1 "Turbo Diesel Truck" is considered even better,
Yuri[/QUOTE]

I went to WalMart and they had both the Rotella T6 5-40 and Mobil-1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5-40 but they both did not have the VW-50_ anything on the back but did have CH-4 and CG-4 rating(the best price by the way at $6.35 a qt.). TDIclub seems like VW rating is the most important. I don't trust what the previous owner said when he stated he has been putting Mobil 1 something in it and the last about 3K miles ago, so i feel I better changing it.

I value Yuri's opinion when you say its fine to run in the 03 and older American TDIs. I just want the best you can put in it. Is the VW rating that important for the older TDIs and would the higher VW-507 be better or worse ?

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
For the 2004 and newer, the VW 505.01 (or newer) spec is rather important (although for the 2004-2006 TDIs many people have found that the Mobil "Turbo-Diesel Truck" works superbly)... for the 2009 and newer TDIs, the VW 507 spec (or an equivalent Mercedes rating) - chiefly related to the low ash content required by the new emission equipment - is mandatory.

For the 2003-and-older ones, the minimum spec is VW 505.00 (which is a manufacturer-specific rating) which is related to the European ACEA A3 spec (see your owner's manual)... Also listed is a North American API minimum of (I believe) CG-4... Most oils will only have the API or the European standards... not both... Since the CG-4 rating is quite old, the newest oils, CH-4, CI-4, CJ-4 do an even better job, and since the Rotella and Mobil are readily available, they're usually recommended. (BTW: Petro-Canada "Duron", Chevron Delo 5W-40, and one or two others are also highly regarded...)

Hope that made some sense... (I haven't yet had my 2nd cup of coffee this morning...)

Yuri

PS: You asked whether you should use the 507 oil... I believe that the 507.00 oils are 5W-30, and although the very modern oils are more flexible, many consider a 5W-40 oil to be the better choice, as it protects the top rings and turbo better...

·
Registered
20 Posts
You did great for your 1st cup. I had to have 3 cups just to write the question.

Thanks for the great info, I will be putting in the Mobil-1 "Turbo Diesel Truck".

Thanks,
Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts