VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a VW 4 speed transmission in my TDI. It is getting bad and I need a new one. But I do not what to put another 4 speed in it. Is there any other transmission that will match up to my motor from any of the models in the VW line??

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Which model/year? I assume that you mean the o1m automatic transmission? What are the symptoms, these transmissions are known for breaking down but you could try a fluid change. If it's already on the way out a fluid change couldn't hurt.

The short answer is no. The gearing needs to be correct for the TDI engine and that's the only one that will directly bolt on and not need further work.

You can swap in a 5 speed manual trasmission from a similar generation TDI or buy another rebuilt automatic transmission from the dealer wholesaler.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
transmission problems

The car is an 2003 4 speed auto. It is shifting hard from gear to gear on up shifts. It is also getting honk up at stop signs and red lights. You have to give it gas and it hits going into gear like a snowmoblie works, "you have to get the revs up before the clutch grabs. I have been told that I have been lucky it has 202K on the car so far!

D

·
0 Posts
It's not possible to swap transmissions and with that mileage I wouldn't bother putting a 5 speed swap unless you have other mods and money into the car and want to keep it a long time...be honest :)

Look at how long you want to keep the car. At that mileage, you are lucky to have gotten that far, I don't recommend the autos because they have a significantly higher failure rate. A rebuilt will cost about $3500 plus installation, if you only want to keep the car for 2-3 more years, go to a junkyard and find one. A full factory rebuilt one should last longer but you never know...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
transmission problems

Thanks for the feed back. Why not go to the 5 speed with out mods to my car?? I have been looking for a transmission but know luck so far. It is like looking for a needle in the hay stack unless you have some info to pass on to fine one.

I would like to put a 5 speed in it if I can find one and also get the wiring harns with it to put in it.

I am a sales rep and putting any were from 45 to 55K on a year so I think I would have the 4 speed nightmare again.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
You'll have to see if the expense is worth it. First try changing the transmission fluid, it's a lot cheaper than a new transmission.

Here is a basic outline of how to do it, original details by alphasenior. If you buy everything used, it'll cost about $2200-2500 parts + labor ($1500-2000). There are a lot of small parts like the axles and starter that look similar but you must switch them to the 5 speed ones. The original thread is here, you have to sort through a lot of chaff, a summary is below: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=151516

Parts:
Transmission & mounts
Axels
Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Clutch, Misc.
Dust "tins" from engine assembly (there are two)
Clutch Pedal Assembly
Clutch Pedal Line
clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate, throw out bearing

Here are some common parts that you might not be able to find in the junkyard: Thanks to Rodrigues
Small Clip on Master cylinder - 7M0 721 431
O ring for master cylinder - 02F 141 143 A
350mm Hose to Hydraulic Tank - 857 721 453
Clutch pedal firewall gasket - 1j1 721 410
3 M8 Nuts that hold clutch pedal in N - 902 264 03
Transmission dust cover plate (manual) 02A 301 157 C
Engine dust cover plate (manual) 06a 103 645
Axle Bolts x12 (ask the dealer)
Transmission bolts there's four of them, two different sizes (ask the dealer)
Shifter Box
Shifter Linkage
All Bolts and nuts, clips, brackets, etc...
All interior peices that touch the stick shift
Starter (looks identical... but is not)

Remove the auto transmission. Install the shifter bracket and clutch pedal. There's already a mounting area and bracket hole or the clutch pedal, it's a direct bolt on. Install the manual transmission but you have to make a small edit in the wiring harness and then use a vag-com to recode the ecu to tell it that you have a manual transmission.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
IMHO, I think that the answer is - it depends. If you don't have a spare car, if you don't want to spend the time to source used parts, if you don't know a mechanic who can do the job or if you can't do it yourself and have the time and space to do so, just get a reman auto. There is no savings in swapping to manual, the cost and your time will be higher than any fuel that you save. But there will be a reliability increase and mileage increase.

It's not for everyone but the manual is better. But you need time + space + a spare car.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
If you have a lot of mods to your car and want to keep them, it might be worth it to swap a manual into your car but only a TDI manual will work right, I think all of the 4 cylinder transmissions will bolt up though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts