VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the V6 "CATA" engine found in the VW Touareg and Audi Q7 TDI. Some basic info on the CATA V6 TDI engine can be found in here: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/V6TDIengineFAQ.htm

Some differences between the CATA in the Touareg and the Q7 - the size and location of the adblue urea additive tanks. Water instead of adblue would greatly increase emissions and cause damage to the emissions system. The VW has the tank under the spare tire and I haven't heard of complaints that you can't add the fluid yourself.

An update to the article above: NOTE - I'm not 100% sure but I believe that you can add adblue to your Audi Q7 TDI engine as long as the level does not go below the 1500 mile warning level. If the 1500 mile warning shows up you must go to the dealer to reset the warning message and use the dealer tools to talk to the car's computer and let the computer acknowledge that adblue was added. If you just add fluid the car's computer will not acknowledge it despite the sensor in the tank knowing that fluid was added.

The TSB only says "each time 6 liters or more of Adblue is added...an adaptation must be performed...an adaptation is required to ensure the sensors inside the active tank can correctly determine the Adblue fluid level". Because the TSB mentions "each time 6 liters or more of Adblue is added" first, I interpret this as meaning that you can keep topping it off as long as you do not require 6 liters or more to top it off (meaning the 1500 mile warning was tripped). I assume the VW may have a similar condition.

Engine cover off - the turbo is in the middle between the cylinder banks. The large silver Y thing is the air intake piping.

Left and right cylinder banks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Great videos. I wouldn't freak people out about the chain...yet...there are about a million parts on cars, many of which could make the wheels fall off. I'm surprised they run at all, lol.

J

·
0 Posts
:eek That looks like a bear to work on,, but I wonder what kind of power mods would work on it. At least the turbo looks like it's easy to work on. What do the common rail injectors go for?

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
An update to the article above: NOTE - I'm not 100% sure but I believe that you can add adblue to your Audi Q7 TDI engine as long as the level does not go below the 1500 mile warning level. If the 1500 mile warning shows up you must go to the dealer to reset the warning message and use the dealer tools to talk to the car's computer and let the computer acknowledge that adblue was added. If you just add fluid the car's computer will not acknowledge it despite the sensor in the tank knowing that fluid was added.

The TSB only says "each time 6 liters or more of Adblue is added...an adaptation must be performed...an adaptation is required to ensure the sensors inside the active tank can correctly determine the Adblue fluid level". Because the TSB mentions "each time 6 liters or more of Adblue is added" first, I interpret this as meaning that you can keep topping it off as long as you do not require 6 liters or more to top it off (meaning the 1500 mile warning was tripped). I assume the VW may have a similar condition.
I think your equating 6 liters being down to the 1500 mile warning is not correct. The 2010 Audi Q7 Adblue tank holds 6 gallons or 23 liters. If you were only down 6 liters, there would still be a whole heckuva lot more available miles than 1500; and that warning almost certainly will not even be close to being tripped..

As another note, the Owner's Manual very specifically says that, when you add AdBlue yourself, it will take 2 X 1/2 gallon bottles for the sensor to know that you've even added any. 2 X 1/2 gallon is 3.8 liters. Nor does the Owner's Manual give any indication that the car has to be taken to the dealer to have anything reset when adding your own.

I'll know more in about 3 weeks when I take delivery of my new one.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, 6 liters was just a guess. The 1500 mile warning and the TSB mentioning that adaptation must be performed any time 6 liters are added are 2 separate thing. At this time I don't know.

Here's the pamphlet from Audi regarding adblue - since you have the owner's manual there's probably more info in there than what I have. Since the Touareg has a different tank this is Audi specific.
https://www.myturbodiesel.com/d2/images/pdf/adblueinfo.pdf

Here's my understanding from the pamphlet:
-You can physically add fluid yourself.
-If the level drops below "X" level, the 1500 miles left warning is lit. At 600 miles left another warning comes up. After the tank empty warning comes up you cannot restart the engine.
-The Adblue filler next to the fuel filler is only for the 1 gallon emergency tank

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I don't have the loaned Owner's Manual any more. I should take delivery the first week in June, at which time I'll have the manual again. At that time I will also interrogate service to find out how they add the AdBlue into the larger tank. There has to be a way.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
A Question & A Comment

Question: Does the plastic engine cover just lift off with friction grommets holding in place? In other words, can I remove it by just lifting up on it?

Comment: When I took delivery of the Q7 TDI, I asked a tech how they add the AdBlue. He said it goes in through the same filler port located under the fuel filler flap, but the level sensor has to be re-adapted.

I asked if the VAG-COM unit would do the job; and he responded "yes", providing that it has the latest software. He would not elaborate further.

I have since been in contact with Ross-Tech; and they gave me a couple of things to try. They asked me not to publish the technique on the forum until I had tried it and proved it to be correct.

Since mine is brand new and, in theory, full; it might be a while before I can check it on my car. If anyone is located in the Southeast and would like to be a test mule, drop me an email to set up a meet to try it. gwagen2000 at comcast dot net

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, just pull it straight up.

Thanks for the info on adding AdBlue. There is no way to add AdBlue and have the computer recognize it (for the purposes of the shut off warning) without an adaptation? If you figure out the procedure with VCDS, please share, thanks!

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Yes, just pull it straight up.

Thanks for the info on adding AdBlue. There is no way to add AdBlue and have the computer recognize it (for the purposes of the shut off warning) without an adaptation? If you figure out the procedure with VCDS, please share, thanks!
I am guessing that, if you top it off before any of the warning signals in the cluster, you just might be able to stay ahead of it and not have to readapt it; but that is only a guess at this point.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
For the Touareg, you re adapt after filling up with Adblue by turning the ignition switch to the RUN position only, for 30 seconds or more. This allows the adblue to learn the new level. VW now recommends adding at least 1.5 gallons or 6 liters before readapting after having the Low Adblue light go off on your dash. I would suggest flat out just topping it off with 4.5 gallons in the Touareg, and whatever the Q7 will take, probably 6 or so gallons or more, if your light goes off to add fluid.

In the USA, truck stops like Pilot / Flying J and others have bulk Ad Blue Nozzles with Ad Blue at about $2.80 a gallon currently that you can top off with. Or fill up a 2.5 gallon ad blue container and meter it yourself so you don't spill a drop. Be careful not to spill the Urea, by over filling it. It's called PUMP DEF. It's about half the price as it is bottled.

http://www.pilotflyingj.com/fuel-prices

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
In the USA, truck stops like Pilot / Flying J and others have bulk Ad Blue Nozzles with Ad Blue at about $2.80 a gallon currently that you can top off with. Or fill up a 2.5 gallon ad blue container and meter it yourself so you don't spill a drop. Be careful not to spill the Urea, by over filling it. It's called PUMP DEF. It's about half the price as it is bottled.

http://www.pilotflyingj.com/fuel-prices
BUT!! Will the truck stop pump nozzle fit the fill port on the Q7?? Since the truck island diesel pump nozzle won't fit a passenger car, I have my doubts about the Pump DEF.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts